Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background to connect the dots.

I am not a member of any groups but just went to a rally to check it out. Doing the math, $40 per person x 3100 people at the rally plus $45 for annual membership. That's alot of money and I am ok with free enterprise.

I heard a radio commercial on the way to the rally in NC. New laws have been passed to stop cars from cutting off big trucks on the highway.

This biker org also teaches biker safety classes and it looks like a really good thing.

This group has the funds (see above)

Now back to the title of this.

With the amount of money collected, wouldn't it be a good idea to buy some radio time on the days and in the local area where a bike rally is taking place? (the NRA collects 15 bucks /person/year and has the resources to twist politicians arms and buy TV time.) How about a commercial to tell cagers to stop tailgating bikers!!

This biker org spends money and time recruiting newbies, this would do both. Who knows, maybe a tailgater would here the message on the radio while tailgating a biker!!!!!!

Teaching safety to the bikers is only half the battle. So if anyone out here reads this and has access to a decision maker of one of these groups, how about passing this on!!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Was it Wings Over The Smokies in North Carolina? I went in 1995, with 4 other couples from Calif. Of course 1 of us won farthest distance prize, anyway, that is a district rally not a headquarters sponsored rally, but the do make some money on it or it wouldn't still be going on. They charge vendors space rent also but they have overhead to rent the facility. They do promote it a lot before the rally with signs and stuff all over the area, a lot of the hotels and restaurants had "WELCOME GOLD WINGERS" on their signs
but as you said, a TV spot or radio spot would help. It's been 15 years since I went so the promoting of the rally with signs and such could have changed over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it Wings Over The Smokies in North Carolina? I went in 1995, with 4 other couples from Calif. Of course 1 of us won farthest distance prize, anyway, that is a district rally not a headquarters sponsored rally, but the do make some money on it or it wouldn't still be going on. They charge vendors space rent also but they have overhead to rent the facility. They do promote it a lot before the rally with signs and stuff all over the area, a lot of the hotels and restaurants had "WELCOME GOLD WINGERS" on their signs
but as you said, a TV spot or radio spot would help. It's been 15 years since I went so the promoting of the rally with signs and such could have changed over the years.
You are correct. We made reservations to camp in Maggie Valley before I knew I was going to have a wing in the garage. We spent part of a day there to look around and waited to see who won a new Wing/trailer.

Like I said, I am not against them making money, I volunteed to give it to get in. I would like to see a campaign against tailgating and we can't do it as individuals but a group that size and income could.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ok gang, the gauntlet has been waved. Any of us that are GWRRA members should speak with our chapter and regional reps about getting them on board with this. The motto does say "safety" after all.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok gang, the gauntlet has been waved. Any of us that are GWRRA members should speak with our chapter and regional reps about getting them on board with this. The motto does say "safety" after all.

I posted this same thread on sabrehood at same time. This morning came back with info from a friend. 2 hit in back by tailgater in Kentucky Sunday night.

I am not connected in any way to launch this but I am all for public awareness on this. It is my pet peeve I guess.

While you're at it start a slogan contest.

something like, "Don't tailgate: it's the only way to live"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts