Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since joining this forum, I have found that some things are universal and some are regional. Now I am wondering if there are things bike specific as well.

Finishing up my 1st wing got me wondering, do riders in the wing world have gremlin bells on your bike?

Very common in my world.

For anyone unfamiliar with them, the legend being that gremlins come out from the pavement trying to pull you down. Gremlin bells keep them away. The key here is that you cannot buy one for your bike, someone has to buy one for you.

How about gang, do you have one? or is this a non-wing thing?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gremlin bell history

Well, as I have started this. You can google "gremlin bell" and see the various articles explaining it much better than I did.

Here it one:

LEGEND OF THE BELL
Many years ago, on a cold December night a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home, near where he worked.

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn't let him down once in the many years they shared the road together.

Well about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert lurked a small group of those notorious little critters known as road gremlins, you know the ones that always leave little obstacles like, one shoe, boards, pieces of old tires, and dig the dreaded pot holes for bikers to run over and crash thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

Well as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid for always before coming to a stop, next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their move towards him. Well this biker not being one to give up started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally with nothing else to throw but a bell he started ringing it, in hopes to scare off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half a mile away camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the camp fire talking about their days ride, and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air, they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being part of the biker brotherhood they preceded to ward off the gremlins until the last of gremlins ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers the old road dog offered to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the old biker cut two pieces of leather from his saddle bags tassels and tied a bell to each one, then slowly placed them on each of the bikers motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior, then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes they would be protected from the road gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So when ever you see a biker with a bell you'll know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life -- friendship from a fellow biker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Many riders out here have them, but as you said, they must be given to you by someone. I don't have one or do any other guys I ride with.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
I have given them to two of my riding buddies.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pay it forward

to the first one that posts a request, I will send ya one.
pm an address and I will do it this week.

Only condition is in the title.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
HUH ?? What are you talking about??

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I have one on my wing, and have had them for years on my other bikes.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
:DWell I'll be damned! I just purchased a used 08 1800 GL and I found the bell hanging off the front tire area. Had no idea why it would be there but now I do. Thanks for the info! I'll have to give a couple of them away as a few friends I ride with have the GL's as well!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
When my son bought his Harley there was one already attached so it got us asking about them. Once we found out the "legend" we both baught each other one. I have mine attached to the lower part of the engine guard on my 03 1800 wing.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
love2ride, I'll take you up on that offer! I know the legend but don't have one for my current bike.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
love2ride, I'll take you up on that offer! I know the legend but don't have one for my current bike.

Thanks in advance.

Cantankerous, One on order from Amazon.

I can already hear the gremlin's knees aknockin'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since joining this forum, I have found that some things are universal and some are regional. Now I am wondering if there are things bike specific as well.

Finishing up my 1st wing got me wondering, do riders in the wing world have gremlin bells on your bike?

Very common in my world.

For anyone unfamiliar with them, the legend being that gremlins come out from the pavement trying to pull you down. Gremlin bells keep them away. The key here is that you cannot buy one for your bike, someone has to buy one for you.

How about gang, do you have one? or is this a non-wing thing?
Yes Sir. I have transferred this from bike to bike... It's on my 2008 Wing now..

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
All I can say is, glad I'm not superstitious. Here is another story of the bell:
Legend has it Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.
Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground. (Ever wonder where pot-holes come from?)
Legend also has it that the mystery of the Guardian Bell carries twice as much power when it is purchased by a friend or loved one and given as a gift. Show someone how much you care. Offer them defence against the Evil Road Spirits! Give a Guardian Bell and share the Legend of Good Luck it offers to a motorcycle and its rider!

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
I don't know about superstition. I believe if it comes from somebody that cares enough to give it, you have more than that looking out for you.

After all, aren't we all family?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run a bell on all of my bikes. My closer riding buddies and wife always give me sh*t about how many bikes I buy and sell because when I buy one, they buy me another bell. Why don't I keep or transfer them? Tradition is to leave it with the bike because that way you are giving one to the new owner (giving is better than receiving so kudo's go out to this thread and the starter!) and the new owner is protected from the first minute he buys it.
By the way, when you walk by bike parking areas, you will now notice how many bikes have a bell. I run mine on the front case saver of the GL1800.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run a bell on all of my bikes. My closer riding buddies and wife always give me sh*t about how many bikes I buy and sell because when I buy one, they buy me another bell. Why don't I keep or transfer them? Tradition is to leave it with the bike because that way you are giving one to the new owner (giving is better than receiving so kudo's go out to this thread and the starter!) and the new owner is protected from the first minute he buys it.
By the way, when you walk by bike parking areas, you will now notice how many bikes have a bell. I run mine on the front case saver of the GL1800.
Well that's the first I have heard about the bell being transferred to a new owner? I thought when you receive a bell from someone, as I did, it remains as yours to place on your bike and when you sell and get a new one, you place your bell on the new bike?

Either way, I would of gladly bought the fellow who bought my VTX 1800 prior to me buying the Goldwing a bell. But the timing wasn't there and I didn't think of it ahead of time..

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know if there are many, hard fast rules. The universal one seems to be that you can't buy one for yourself. In any case, whether you are superstitious or not, or if you do it exactly right isn't really the point to me, it's just a gesture of goodwill towards one, like you, that understands why dogs stick their heads out the window when riding in a car.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts