Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1990 goldwing won't start. I had been riding it for about an hour when I returned home turned it off and about 15 min latter I went to start it and it would not turn over. The head light does not light and the green start light does not light. It seems there is power in the battery the radio works and the digital clock works on the dash but non of the starting lighs light up. The gages do not work they don't move and the bike just won't start. This is the first time this has happened someone told me it might be a fuse what are your thoughts any help would be appreciated.........

Thanks Dandy52002

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Time to introduce yourself to your fuses.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Be sure that the battery is fully charged. Take apart, clean & tighten the battery connections. That will at least get you started.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree, most likely a fuse issue. But, if the fuses are all good, it might be a relay, too. Less likely, but the relays on these bikes do start acting funky and causing issues as time passes.

Your battery is suspect also. How old is it? Some items don't take as much voltage to run, so you can get things that work and things that don't with a bad battery, which will kind of emulate weird fuse issues.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motorcycle will not start......

Thank you all for your help in this matter I will check the battery and the fuses to see if that may be the issue. The Battery is only about 3 Years old, never the less these things happen I will let you know what turns out.

Thanks for all your help.......

Update Bike will not start

Ok here's where we are now I checked the battery and it's fully charged. I checked the fuses and they appear to be fine. I did manage to get the bike to start by rolling the bike than poping the clutch it started right away. The eletronic gages still did not work and there was no indicators on the dash to identify which gear the bike was in. Any idea if this is a relay problem?

Thanks again for all your help...........

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Relay #3 and fuse #8 cause the problem you are describing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok here's where we are now I checked the battery and it's fully charged. I checked the fuses and they appear to be fine. I did manage to get the bike to start by rolling the bike than poping the clutch it started right away. The eletronic gages still did not work and there was no indicators on the dash to identify which gear the bike was in. Any idea if this is a relay problem?

Thanks again for all your help...........
My 96 did the same thing. Rode it to our trike meeting, when I come out, same thing as you. Pushed it and it started. This did not happen again for about 1 month, then I turned the key off and on a couple of times and it started. I have never found the problem, but it has never happened again yet. About 8 or 9 months and ridden most every day. Still have a problem with the dash, clock doesn't come on or comes on with the wrong time etc. But it eventually comes on and everything is fine. I just keep riding it. Have never found out what is wrong, as an electrical problem is only a problem when it is not working. Good luck, hope you find your solution.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
If the radio works and the headlight doesn't come on, I'd suspect the battery and or fuses. Radio takes very little amperage, but the started takes a tone of cranking power. Put it on a full desulfate/refresh charger for a couple days. If that doesn't help, I'd day your battery is toast. Check the fuses and relays at the same time.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Gages and tail lights are control by Relay number 3 and fuse 8.
Hers a list of componants in the starting circuit.
1. Battery
2. fuse 11 (ign. start. cruise 15 amp) Located in fuse panel on left side.
3. fuse 9 ( (reverse,start fuse ) neutral light
4.Relay #6 (ing, cruise relay) located in the relay box on the left side.
5. Starter reverse switch . right combo pack on handle bar provide trigger voltage to to Solenoid A Start relay, located forward of the batter on right side..
Solenoid A passes the battery voltage onto the contacts Solenoid B as well as the trigger voltage for Solenoid B, Note there is a 5 amp fuse in line in the trigger wires for solenoid B.
Solenoid B pass's the battery voltage onto the starter.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike is now in the shop

Took the bike in this morning they told me it's the starter relay that's the problem.

Should have her back in a few days......

Thanks everyone for all your support.......:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.