Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has finally received her new bike, not a Wing, the 650 Hyosung cruiser.
Now we need to talk bike to bike, any suggestions?
\Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
scala is popular with friends here where I live. I don't have them but have friends that like them. They only work fairly short distances. Line of sight is about what you get. (even if you are fairly close, traffic or a hill will interfere). But they understood that going in and they stay close together. google them or look on Ebay. Others may have better info here, stick around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wife got a Yamaha 950 tourer this year and we have been going all over Alberta. We bought a Scala multiRider set. I am quite impressed. They work well and have a good range. I haven't tried the FM radio yet but with the Wing I really dont need another radio.

I found however that her headset activates the VOX because of her full face helment and bike allow a lot of wind noise. I just turn the sets to button activated only and just touch the button when I want to talk and then touch it agian to turn it off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HI,
My wife and I (when we are not on the same bike) use the Scala Q2 Team system. Works great and very easy to use. Both are Voice Activated and sound is load and clear.. Easy to install. I use my to bluetooth to my phone and most of the time if I do not tell the person they do not know I'm on the bike. I also run Slaker Radio off my Blackberry which is again bluetooth to the headset, sound is only OK but it something. We also have a 3rd Scala which my son uses on his bike. If all three are together you need to hit the little button on the side to alternate between the other two riders (all three cannot hear or talk at the same time... But that's not offen..
For two people out to ride and do not care if others are in the loop this works great...
They are also cheeper now that Scala came out with a Q4 system, check ebay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont know all that much about it but my buddy already had a system "BLUE ANT" so all i had to buy was the reciever but it really works great no wind noise at all check it out on line
bigworm//

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have pretty extensive experience with the Scala Q2 Team Set.
My wife and I each have two Bluetooth modules (that way we always have a fully charged spare), and we each have Scala headsets mounted on three different helmets. First let me say I am DELIGHTED with the Scala Q2 system. Second let me say I can't wait to get the new G4 system. If you're a first time buyer, spend the extra bucks and go with G4 from the start. The upgrades from the Q2 are well worth the money.
CAVEAT: I say I am "delighted" AND I confess to "extensive experience." The two factors are definitely related. "Knowing" the system is essential to getting all the benefits it has to offer. The learning curve on the Scala system is pretty steep. That's because it has only four (4) buttons on it for performing about a hundred different functions. I Xeroxed two copies of my instruction manual, and I carry one on each of my bikes. For example, I rode for several days recently with another Cardo Scala owner who will ride ONLY with a half-helmet. At highway speeds the wind noise in his microphone is painful to my one working ear. And the wind noise is sufficient to key his VOX and KEEP IT KEYED all the time. So I hauled out my Xeroxed manual and learned how to KILL the automatic (VOX) microphone keying on his microphone. We can still talk. He has to push a button to key his mike, and when the conversation is over, one of us can push the same button and kill the connection-- AND the noise in my ear. The VOX on MY headset was still active, so all I had to do was talk to key the connection.
You will not believe the quality of the communications from this system--or the other benefits, either. But at this point I have to do my instructional piece.
The positioning of the earphone/speakers in the Cardo system is CRUCIAL. The complaint I hear most often is, "It's not loud enough."
BULLSHIRTS!!! It is PLENTY loud enough for anyone. But you MUST have the earphone/speakers perfectly aligned with your ear canal, AND you must position the earphone/speakers as close to your ear as possible. For the "closeness" adjustment, I cut pieces of soft foam to the right thickness and put them BEHIND my speakers to push them out close to my ears (only one of which actually hears anything). Then, for the "alignment" exercise, after installing your speakers where you "think" they should be, you need to turn on the built in radio or hook up your MP3 player and get a source of constant volume sound. Put on the helmet and move it around on your head-- up/down, right/left, forward/back. You'll discover that the most perfectly placed speakers will produce lousy sound if they are off by as much a one-quarter of an inch. When the speakers are properly positioned in your helmet, you will NEVER use the highest volume setting on the Cardo unit.
Conversation between my wife (on her Harley) and me (on my Gold Wing or my C90T) is easier and more relaxed than a chat in the front seat of our Volvo. My most frequent coplaint to her is, "Stop shouting; I hear you just fine." (Not her fault; she's just shouting over those blatty, loud Harley pipes.)
Cardo builds great gear. We wouldn't ride without it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
try putting a piece of black electrical tape on the back of her mike. I called Scalla about the noise and their suggestion helped about 100%. Without the tape, the noise above 70 was just terrible. It works great now!
Locknut
:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have two sets.I bought the interphone first and they worked great.They lasted for about 6 or 7 hrs. Then i read about scala Q2.They were more expensive, but had a better range, so i bought them.They have two ear pieces, which have to be aligned properly (as someone else said in here) but the only problem with them was that the flexible mike tube is external, and a bit bulky to weave into your flip face helmet, whereas the interphone mike tube is internal,much thinner, and therefore easier to position inside your helmet. I usually shove it up near my eye until i shut the flip face down, then i just push the mike down near my mouth and try and put it somewhere where I'm not going to dribble on it all day.lol
I would like to set up with a CB, or better still UHF, but nobody i ride with is interested enough to spend the money.If I wanted to buy the proper radio for my wing, i would need to rob a bank or two first.
However, i must check out this Scala Q4 that i just read about in one of the posts.
Graham from Downunder

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you're on a wing equipped with a cb radio, check with J&M for a cb set up to install on the other bike as I know of a few people that have installed them on VTX and Burgmans.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're on a wing equipped with a cb radio, check with J&M for a cb set up to install on the other bike as I know of a few people that have installed them on VTX and Burgmans.
My wing has all the controls on the handle bars for a radio...but no radio.I'm looking to set one up on my bike ,then try to organize one for my mates bike.
Cheers
Graham from Downunder
"A mans got to know his limitations"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts