Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 5 yrs since my GF and I had bikes... now we have recently bought 2. I have the 2010 GL1800 and she has a new 2009 VTX 1300. Anybody know the range on bluetooth headsets? Would this work for bike to bike communication or is CB the only way to go?

We never did use any kind of motorcycle communications before so I am kind of in the dark when it comes to this topic.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
scala q2 and q4 are by far the most popular.
They are wireless and do pretty good. A lot of the distance works as does line of sight. But hills and traffic will affect them. I have friends that love them and think they perform very well with no complaints.

There will be other good options I am sure-this is what I am around and hear alot on forums.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can only speak for the CB, a group of from 2 to 8 of us usually ride together and all use CB's. Would not want to be w/o it, even with 2 bikes. Easy to use, lots of utility. It seems we always need to talk about where to stop, where to eat, where to gas, where to turn, and of course did you see that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What ever you use, being able to communicate during the ride makes it a whole lot more fun as xhdrider will attest to. I'm partial to CB myself. Especially on those boring straight roads... but then again there's the risk of a little voice in your ear telling you to slow down...(ahem...)

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
CB's work for sure as everyone knows. Devil's advocate is (for me anyway) sometimes the chatter that goes on is like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher. Mwopp, Mwopp, Mwopp.

The downside of Bike to Bike as I understand is the obvious you have to have them - as in all the other bikes.

Check these out as well no one mentioned them.

http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbxbi2h.html

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Beat me to it Bill. We've got the Cobra hand held 2-ways for vehicle to vehicle and they've worked pretty well. I think they'd be cumbersome/awkward on a bike though.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I can only speak for the CB's since that's all I've ever had, as several above have said they are really handy. This year I added Mic Mutes, to eliminate road and wind noise. One of the best investments I've made.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the info. It looks like there are a few options here. I never really wanted music or any other input while I ride. Back in the day on younger kness I used to run alot and same thing... never used a radio or mp3, etc etc. I always go 'silently'. As a matter of fact I prefer to ride with earplugs even on the Wing!. But I am thinking, I mean thinking about bike to bike comms for when my GF and I take more than a day cruise. I'm just not sure if I am ready to sign up for this just yet. Nightwing, sometimes it's convenient to be able to say "Sorry, hun, I didn't hear you!"

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
SENA Comms

We have been using SENA SMH10 commsets, bluetooth etc. On reasonably open flat country I reckon they're good for somewhere towards a kilometre range. At that, the quality of signal is as good as if talking to your pillion. We reckon they are great. With slightly judicious use, we find that we can get 4 days use on a recharge.

Only problem we are having is finding a way to connect from the 5 pin DIN output plug on the bike to the MP3 input plug 'ole on the SENA. It just means we have to listen to everything apart from comms on the bikes system via the external speakers ....... not a major problem really.

That's my two-bobs'-worth :eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Donald says-- sometimes it's convenient to be able to say "Sorry, hun, I didn't hear you!"

Hey Don- this will put you in contact with the most reliable form of understanding known to man -- it's called single digit sign language.-:(

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been looking at a lot of bluetooth lately and have to agree about the q2 and q4 from everything I've been told. I had cb on my other bikes back before they let everyone use them without a license. After that the noise levels got too high. Had to squelch everything out except within about a half mile. Whatever you use make sure it has voluume control to turn her down and a mute so she can't hear everything you say.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the Cardo Scala.
My wife and I each have the Q2 microphone base installed on three different helmets ($30/helmet). We each have two transmitter/receiver units that can be moved from helmet to helmet. We keep one unit active and the other as a fully charged backup.
Until I bought my GL1800 a year ago, I hadn't fooled with CB since putting one in my car for the heyday of the "Convoy" era. I was thrilled that it was already installed on my Wing. I spent $100 wiring up just one helmet with the appropriate earphones and microphone. I used it once and haven't turned it on since... or worn the helmet with the ear/mic installation.
Bear in mind we have the Cardo Q2. For Christmas (at the Bike Show) we just might buy a couple of the new G4 units-- yeah it's G4, not Q4.
Here's a summary of our experience.
Essentially, if I can see her, I can talk to her... up to almost half a mile. There's no PTT button to worry about; just speak and the transmitter is self keying. I can't count the number of times that a PTT button would have complicated, maybe even defeated the purpose, of a quick, two-way exchange on the Cardo.
Unlike CB, the Cardo system is FULL DUPLEX, which means we can talk and listen at the same time. When we finish talking the connection remains hot for about ten seconds and then goes to standby, awaiting the next voice activation from either side. The wind/bike noise cancelation is phenomenal, especially in a full-face helmet... but even in a three-quarter. I can hardly hear my wifes Harley pipes in the headset.
When we get out of range or get separated, there's no problem. We both have our cell phones married to our Cardo units. I push one button on the helmet unit, my cell phone asks for a command, and I tell it to call the wife. When she hears her ringtone in her helmet headset, she simply says "Hello," and we both have hands-free connections that are completely private and of unlimited range.
I could connect my cell phone to the Cardo through my Bluetooth equipped GPS. Then I could hear GPS instructions in my Cardo headset. I don't do that because the Cardo operates on a priority protocol, and the GPS will interrupt a cell phone conversation. I simply run my GPS through the fairing speakers on my Wing, and I hear it just fine.
My wife uses the MP3 input to listen to music. There is also a built-in FM radio with six pre-tuned and re-settable station selections. BTW- the Cardo Q2 is NOT a stereo unit. You get the same audio in both earphones--no channel separation. The FM/MP3 input has the lowest priority in the system; my wife's music is interrupted if I talk to her. That's why I don't run my GPS to that circuit. I would miss any GPS instructions while talking to my wife or talking on the cell phone. Bike-to-bike chatter is the next to lowest priority; a cell phone call will interrupt chit-chat.
Yes. You can defeat the VOX (voice operated keying). Then you have to push one button on the helmet to establish a link which will remain active for about ten seconds after conversation ends... or you can push the same button to end the connection.
A Cardo Q2 unit can be paired to talk with two other Cardo units, but you can talk to only one of those other station at a time. You must press a button to drop one connection and go to the other. When three people ride together each of them can establish connection with both of the other two. With more than three people the networking can get complicated.
Enter the new Cardo C4. The C4 extends the Bluetooth bike-to-bike range to a little more than a half-mile. The C4 really IS a stereo sound system. And the C4 allows each unit to connect with two other units AND talk to them both at the same time.
I repeat: I can't say enough good things about the Cardo Sacla.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am w/DonaldLL, I flat enjoy the silence and the sounds around me while riding. Gives me uninterrupted time to mull things over and just enjoy the day. Don't use the radio or the 5x CD changer much, but the weather radio comes in handy, and would not want to be w/o the CB when riding with others, or just to ask the locals a question.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. We went riding together (different bikes) this past weekend for the first time in about 5 years. It was great. I think what I'll do is buy the Cardo units for longer trips and not use them for shorter ones but I've come to the conclusion that they would be a very nice addition for us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts