Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first post here I have a big request. I did a search and got some info, but need more. I just towed home a 1986 Aspencade with about 50k miles. It was purchased new out of the box in 1989. I have all dealer paperwork, cover 3 keys and soft bags. It has always had Honda parts and service.

The original owner last ran it in 2004. I bought it out of PA. It has sat in his heated garage with gas in it and the valve open.

I know I will put new tires/brakes on it before I drive it, but first I plan on getting a battery/changing the oil-filter and removing the plugs to give it a squirt of light oil and turn it over before stating it.

My biggest concern is draining/cleaning the fuel system/carburetors. I also plan on replacing the fuel lines....

The request is what am I missing? I had 3 bikes when I got married 20 years ago, but somehow :) they slowly went away:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
86GW1200,
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.
Me, personally I would drain the gas, clean the tank and add fresh, clean or replace the air filter also. A big yes on replacing the fuel lines. I would replace any fuel filters and check the fuel pump. If it's been sitting and there was fuel left in the bowls, you may want to remove the carbs and clean them. I perfer to address carb cleaning manually and rebuild them when they've been sitting for a long period of time; all four carbs must be synced for best performance. One thing I always tell people and that is obtain a service manual and read that chapter thoroughly for the area of the bike you intend to work on. There are people who will tell you to use a short cut and omit steps or maybe suggest 'Snake Oil' which has created a $3000.00 disaster on a gentleman's trike. The best way to do a job and do it right is disassemble, clean, replace and rebuild and in the end you'll have a job done right and a bike that runs well.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Drain as much of the fuel as you can from the tank and fill with fresh. After you get it running you might want to add a product like Seafoam to the fuel to help clean things up. Also, change the clutch and brake fluids as well. Good luck. Let us know how you make out...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Look at changing the coolant and throughly inspect the hoses or replace them. Also think about changing out the timing belts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. It will be a slow process as time/money allow. Tomorrow I will be picking up a battery and fuel lines/filter. Then I will try draining all the fuel from the tank/lines/fuel pump...

If I can find some gasket kits for the carburetors I will tear them down and clean them out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good luck.....but congrats on the Wing. Keep us posted on your progress. If you have techno question just summon up ole JOE.

Thats not me, I'm Marc. But he's on the site alot and Joe Knows.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
86GW1200,
Your local Honda dealer should be able to get the rebuild kits for you, they are usually sold with the K&L brand, JC Whitney or www.oldbikebarn.com for old Wing things. See if you can get access to a four gauage syncronizer set.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't know how to use it if it fell on my head.:D

It is covered in dust/dirt from sitting all these years, but I will try to start gathering pics for posting later.

I hope 500.00 was a good price---time will tell:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
86GW1200,
That's a good deal compaired to what I've seen them go for.
A carb syncronizer is a set of gauges to balance multi-carb vehicles.
Vehicle restoration is fun, expensive and time consuming; but the end result is worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts