Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on a ride and hit some sand in the curve, which caused me to drop my bike.:mad: I'm fine,:) but my baby has brokern mirrors and and tons of scratches on the side bars, saddle bags, hwy pegs and handlebars are tweek. My insurance company wants me to to take it to their shop which is not a Honda dealer, but I have the choice to take it to any shop that I want to have the repairs done. Should I take it to their shop since I think I will be able to get my bike back faster, or should I take it to a shop that deals with GW and have more knowledge about the bike? Also I think their shop will paint the scratches parts vice replace the damage parts. Should I let them do that or should I request for new parts vice painting?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Understand that this is 1 event for you. the other players, the shop who works with the insurance company and the the insurance rep. well, they see each other every day. You are not the customer here. The shop has to keep the insurance co. rep happy to continue the preferred status. This doesn't make them bad people-just understand their roles in this.

I personally would take it (fill in the blank) so that I am the customer and make sure they are thorough in their investigation. costmetics get routinely fixed and then your insurance guy will start to argue back saying, hey, we don't know that the cc worked before the accident or not. Again, why I would have shop looking to please you check it out and then repair it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What kind of shop is it that they want you to take it to? I hope it is a motorcycle shop and not just an auto body shop. If it's just cosmetic, stuff thats bolts on than it might be O.K. but make sure they replace the parts not just paint them. I don't see that there would be much difference in labor costs so I would take it to a Honda shop because they will check out all other hidden damages also.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Honda Shop...........

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, I will call the dealer in the morning that specialize in GW.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Thank you all, I will call the dealer in the morning that specialize in GW.
Thanks again.
You have chosen wisely young Jeddi.....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Touched on but to emphasize:
Scratches are scratches but, gouges are into the base material.
That is the time for replacement parts, not body filler:eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Parts replacer, not an actual body shop. Hope your fine print allows it!! :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If you have any say in the mattr, your Honda dealer is the way to go. That way you get OEM replacement parts and as Joe says, a tech that deals with Goldwings (I hope).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I dropped my bike off at the local Honda dealership. They have a guy that does nothing but Goldwings for the last 30 years. He is going to go through the bike entirely to make sure the frame and steering is all correct, since I did bend my left handlebar. He seems to be very knowledgeable, and I looking forward to get my bike back in a few weeks....I hope. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Chopin114,
I hope also. The weather has been great for the last few days and I'm missing my Big Red machine. Thank God I will be on a cruise next week to take my mind off all the riding I'm missing. I will just over eat on all buffets and drink all the tea and pink lemonade my stomach can take. LOL

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Can agree with the food Easy, but I might have an issue with all the tea and lemonade!

"Reminds me of our expedition into the wilds of Afganistan. We lost our corkscrew and were compelled to live on food and water for several days"
W.C. Fields

p.s. glad you're going to get your bike sorted:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts