Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im a newbie at tryign to repair anything on my 84 GL1200 I. a while back i was driving it home from work and it just started to die on me. it acted liek it was fuel starved and got to the point where it wouldnt run at all. I woudl throttle down on it and it wouldnt even start. I could start it with the choke all the way on but then it woudl die if i tried the throttle. A friend told me to take the carbs off and just clean them. so i did that and put htme back on. Well now the bike will start but it wont stay running unless its fully throttled and the choke doesnt help either... should i just get Raddiks rebuild kit and just redo the whole carbs and then go from there? im wondering if i just got the carbs so out of sync they wont stay running. I know it needs to be synced but if i cant keep it running i dont want to waste my time taking it to someone to have them synced if i just have to rebuild them and do other work to the bike. Any ideas on what i can do? im just so fustrated. i live in the middle of nowhere and i have onbody close to even help me. Ill have to take it 100 miles to the closest shop just to do the sync on the bike. Thanks for any and all ideas and help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Fuel Pump -

Hey Mike, Slow down just a bit… Check some of the simpler things first before you have the engine pulled out for a crankshaft replacement. :) First make sure your problem is not just a fuel filter, an obstruction within the fuel tank shut-off valve, a clogged fuel pickup down inside the fuel tank (contamination sometimes accumulates in the older tanks) or the fuel pump itself.

While the filter is off, open the fuel tank valve and use compressed air (approx-20psi) to blow back through the fuel lines into the tank. When inspecting the internal condition of your fuel tank “USE A FLASH LIGHT” - no cigarette lighters. If these tests check out, you may have a simple fuel pump failure.

The electric fuel pump on the 84-87 Goldwing is pulsed on/off by a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump relay is pulsed on/off by the Ignition Control Unit. The Ignition Control Unit receives it’s timing pulses (to fire the ignition coils/operate the fuel pump relay) from the 2 Pulse Generator Pick-UP Coils under the circular cover on the rear of your 84 Goldwing. Since it sounds like your plugs are firing - this eliminates the ignition control unit and pulse generator coils.

I had a fuel pump go out a few years back on my 1200 Goldwing “Ol’ Reliable” just out of the Talimena Drive. I found that you can keep the engine running by gravity feed if you completely top off the tank, bypass the fuel pump and run the fuel line directly to the carbs. I slowly limped along into the first small town with an auto-parts store and bought a tiny electric fuel pump, some fuel line and a lawn mower twist style fuel shut-off valve. Even using the pulsed ON/OFF signal to the pump, it initially delivered too much fuel to the carbs. So I jumpered in an additional fuel line bypass between the input/output of the pump using the lawn mower fuel shut-off valve. This allowed me to regulate the amount of fuel to the carburetors by adjusting the shut-off valve. Once everything was set “Ol’ Reliable” (Renamed - Ol’ Fuss and Feathers by my wife) made it all the way home. My prime mover is a 94 Goldwing Beauford T Dudley and (knock on wood) - he has never broken down on the road.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im not goin to pull the crankshaft at all... i was wondering if i needed to do a complete rebuild kit on the carborator as all i did was clean it up after the intital issues. it was acting like it wasnt gettign fuel at all and so i tested the fuel pump at that time and it was delivering fuel just fine. so im fairly sure its not a fuel delivery issue. Im just not sure if its a Pluse generator issue and i have done some reading and it seems it could be that,, or if its just time to rebuild the carbs and go from there. coudl i have clogged somethign up in the carbs when i clened them that woudl cause the bike to only run when i got the throttle twisted fully open? thanks for the ideas tho. i do appreciate your time and effort fo help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Fuel -

Hey Mike - I was just joking with you about pulling the engine. It sounds like you have a good grasp of the troubleshooting process. I don't think the problem you describe would be in the carburetors simply because there is one for each cylinder and all 4 would have to be plugged up. It sounds more like it would be something to do with fuel delivery.

The recommended test for the fuel pump is to disconnect the fuel line to the carbs and direct the fuel into a measured container. Something like a baby bottle works well. With the engine running for 5 seconds you would multiply the quantity of fuel by 12 (5 sec x 12 = 60 sec). The fuel should measure about 17 oz.

Just to see if there is any improvement in how your bike runs, you might try bypassing the fuel pump and run a fuel line directly to the carburetors. For the fuel to gravity feed properly you must have the tank filled completely to the top. The engine should start and run fairly well at low RPM.

One other thought - there is lots of funky gasoline out there. Some service stations have been caught with water in their tanks. Did you just fill up before the problem began ?

Please let us know your progress.

Thanks, Michael :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Gasoline Quality -

Hey Mike, It is kind of a pain in the arsssse but you might want to siphon all the fuel out of your fuel tank to test for any water you may have ingested during your last fill-up. Let the gasoline set for a day in plastic milk jugs to see if a distinctive line shows up indicating two different liquids.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
All advice so far is good. I'd also make sure none of your new (replaced) or any other lines and hoses are not kinked. The 1200's are also pretty famous for moisture collecting in the spark plug recesses. Make sure the drain holes are free and clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.