Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to park my GL1800 for the winter months. This is my first winter with this bike and I wanted to have it covered while stored in my little shed for the winter. (Sorry but the lawn tractor had to go outside under a tarp since there wasn't room for both.) I was wanting to cover it but not remove the antennas. I purchased a cheap thin cover ( ~$15) that packs nice and small in case I ever want to take it along. I didn't see covers that accommodate the antennas. So with the help of my wife, who can sew while I held the bulky cover, cut a slit from the antennas down. Then she helped me hem the fabric and we put on both Velcro pieces and a couple of snaps on each side (see photo).

Maybe I didn't look hard enough to find a similar cover already designed to accommodate the antennas. But our little cut-n-hem job seems to work at least for now. The cover is not a perfect fit. But perhaps this cover is an adequate fit for now.

Tarpaulin Textile Shade Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
the antennas will fold down
if you lift up at the knurled part, may have to twist slightly to break it loose, they are spring loaded
it will expose the hinge pin.... then just fold em forword

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
yep....
at least all the way back to the 1500s

both will do the same

sometimes, with lack of use, they will corrode and stick a little bit
that is why I said some times you have to try to twist the knurled part before you can lift it up
it only raises about an inch

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep....
at least all the way back to the 1500s

both will do the same

sometimes, with lack of use, they will corrode and stick a little bit
that is why I said some times you have to try to twist the knurled part before you can lift it up
it only raises about an inch
Now that I looked at the manual PDF, it appears that my question could have been covered by what we used to call RFM .... READ the "FINE" MANUAL (I think that's what the "F" may have stood for!)

·
Registered
327 Posts
You might also squirt a wee bit of penetrating oil above the knurled sleeve and let sit for a few hours.

It is helpful, depending on the cover and the windshield, to move the shield down to its lowest position. Fold in any highway pegs. You can make some covers to go over the antenna hinge points so they don't chafe the cover. Small pieces of cloth, foam rubber or even slice open a couple old tennis balls.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Now that I looked at the manual PDF, it appears that my question could have been covered by what we used to call RFM .... READ the "FINE" MANUAL (I think that's what the "F" may have stood for!)
hahahahahaahahahahahahahah

something like that
I always heard "if all else fails read the directions"

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A little late now, but It took some 1 inch pvc pipe 4 inches long, cut a slot in it for the antenna and added a cap. Fold down the antennas, slip the pipe over and put the cover on. The caps protect the cover.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Some pics for the next one who asks...

Start here
  • Antenna(s) up. (Pic 1)
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Fuel tank Automotive tire

Bend Antenna(s)
  • Lift this… (Pic 2)
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

• Fold antenna forward. (Pic 3)
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Protect cover
  • Use this… (Pic 4 & 5)
Fender Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Plastic
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

• Place cover on top.
Hope this helps the next one...
Forgot - repeat same thing on the left side if there is an antenna as well. :p🤪

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
For anyone riding an 1100, there is a threaded ferrule that you would unscrew, then lift up to reveal the hinge, allowing to fold the antenna down. I am not certain of this, but I believe the 1200's were like that also. Not quite as nice or easy to use as the newer style, but they had the capability to fold as well.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Why would you ruin a perfectly good cover assuming you buy one the Goldwing? Unless you use a tarp...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't feel bad, (or embarrassed) when I purchased my first Goldwing, (back in 2002) I didn't know that the antennas folded down either ..... I had another rider show me.... I also thought how stupid this was putting on a cover, with the antenna sticking up..............

Ronnie
12/25/21

1 - 18 of 18 Posts