1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Join the AMA and join the fight

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cell phone technology grew by leaps and bounds between 97 and 2008 while I was between bikes. After getting back on, I was absolutely amazed at how self involved people were while driving.... music, food, smoking and the ever present cell phone in whatever capacity they were using it for. It impacted me enough it made me think about my own habits while in the cage, changed my point of view!:eek:

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I work for a water co. and am along roads daily. You would be amazed what I have seen people doing while driving. Just the other day one of our crews had a lady drive through their road closed signs and drive her car in their excavation. Luckily no one was injured.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Speckfisher, I'm truly sorry for your loss & I know this is an emotionally charged issue for you right now. We all simpathize with your position however there are very few of us that don't also drive "cages" so in essence we all may be at fault sometime. I know that I have made a few mistakes driving & quite sure that others have as well.

Motorcycling is an awesome, wonderful, fulfilling, soul searching, of quintessential experiance, yet very Dangerous activity on the road. I do hope that your loss heals over time & that you can champion the cause of greater awareness in honor of your friend.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Budoka,
Very good video that should grab people's attention. I sent it around to friends and family and we will see who is speaking to me tomorrow.

·
Registered
835 Posts
On Ramp Texting -

I'm sure many motorcycle riders have had a near miss or two only to find that the instigator was texting or talking on their cell phone. Just last week I had a Suburban merge into traffic from an on ramp and glance off a pickup just in front of me. When the pickup slammed on his brakes, cars all the way across 5 lanes of Dallas traffic scattered. I was able to quickly maneuver my bike to the side of the road just in time to see the lady who initiated the whole mess still talking on her phone.

I slowly eased along the right shoulder to get past the pile up as the police came weaving in through the parking lot of cars. The crazy thing about it was just down the road everyone was back up to 75 mph like nothing had even happened.

With the driver of the pickup and several others involved in the crash lined up as the police arrived, you just wonder if the lady was going to say "I didn't see him". It does seem to work as an excuse after a motorcycle has been run over. Luckily - I am always looking for an escape route while riding and was far enough back not to be involved in the wreck. But it was still too close.....

Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts