Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"ve put 3300 miles on my 2010 Wing. I had a BMW for 17 years prior to this. I ride along and up come the twisties and I'm in the turn and my toe hits the pavement. Scares the heck out of me because I'm not expecting this. Never had this experience on the BMW but the Wing must sit lower or my feet have grown! Left or right turn, doesn't matter. Still learning to raise up my foot. So far, it's not a natural condition, yet.

Anyone else find this annoying?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i think your old bmer had more ground clearance and maybe some toe rest would help those big feet :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're making a left turn, remember to keep your foot over the shift lever and not below. I was making a left turn, had my foot under the shifter to make the up-shift upon exiting the turn. The toe of my boot touched the ground which surprised me so much, I jerked my foot up and in doing so, shifted to second without the clutch. THAT was fun (not) :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have noticed from going from my 84 1200 to my 96 that I have hit my toes on turns that I didnt when I was riding 1200 I can feel the 96 sits lower then the 84. Also if I come to a stop for a light that when I stand up there is a lot more room between me and the seat. I now have to remember to keep my feet up sows not to drag them. Hal

·
Registered
741 Posts
I usually ride the peg with my toes to keep my boot from scraping the road. Leaning towards the inside of the turn will also help keep your bike more upright in the turn. I've found greater turning speed/capability by adapting my riding style to the big Wing.

Clipboard01.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't always ride this way. I adjust my style as I get more aggressive. I scrape my foot, I move it to a better position. I scrape my bike, I adjust my body position to keep it more upright. All you have to be is willing to adapt to the conditions.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
I have noticed from going from my 84 1200 to my 96 that I have hit my toes on turns that I didnt when I was riding 1200 I can feel the 96 sits lower then the 84. Also if I come to a stop for a light that when I stand up there is a lot more room between me and the seat. I now have to remember to keep my feet up sows not to drag them. Hal
a 1500 wing may have lower pegs and the seat height is lower but has more ground clearance than a 1200 wing

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Have to agree with detdr about the ground clearance. Your peg should touch before your boot/sole/toe for sure. Like Dookoo says, place your toe or ball of the foot on the peg rather than centering the peg in the arch of your boot sole. That way your foot will be out of the 'pinch' zone and away from the asphalt. Yes, body position makes a big difference. Check out some of the vids posted by Dookoo of his track experiences. "Darkside Better For The Twisties" in the tires and wheels section is a good one for seeing the "hanging off" techniques, and the one he posted recently comparing the 600 vs 1000 rr bikes on the track (sorry, I forget where he posted that one). Either way, there's nothing that a simple foot or body position adjustment won't make your riding more enjoyable and less foot/heart pounding:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
did you try bumping up the rear spring preload to raise the back a little?

I have had my toe scrape too, but try to keep the ball of my feet on the pegs rather than the arch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My two cents... I've been riding my '07 for a month now, coming off a Suzuki Boulevard I rode for years. It was weird at first to have my shoe (and even more frequently) the peg scrape during what I always thought were pretty shallow banks. On the Boulevard, it happenedso infrequently that when it did, it startled me. I got used to it on theWing and so will you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts