Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a tire ad in a Bike magazine and the ad stated that this tire is available in Radial sizes for newer Gold Wings and Bias for the older Gold Wings. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming my '84 GL1200 would fall into that "older" bracket.

If this is the case, I'm wondering why my '84 could not use the newer Radials. And what difference does it make? Am I going to be somehow doomed for some reason if I put Radial tires on my '84?

Looking forward to your wisdom in this matter.

Harkgold

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I think most issues would have to do with handling characteristics and how the suspension would handle a radial vs a bias ply. I know a bias ply will give you more miles than the radial. Also don't know if there would be any issue with the older rims... JMHO..

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I am running radial tires on my 1500. A radial car tire too boot on the back! I am going to put 6,000 miles on this combination in the next 3 weeks..... so I will have a little more opinion on this when I get back for Christmas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running radial tires on my 1500. A radial car tire too boot on the back! I am going to put 6,000 miles on this combination in the next 3 weeks..... so I will have a little more opinion on this when I get back for Christmas.
Does your owners manual call for bias tires? Why did you go with a car tire on the rear? Was it because it was less expensive than a radial motorcycle tire?

We would love to hear more about your experience with this combination when you return.

Harkgold

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Does your owners manual call for bias tires? Why did you go with a car tire on the rear? Was it because it was less expensive than a radial motorcycle tire?

We would love to hear more about your experience with this combination when you return.

Harkgold
30,000 miles life span on the CT. Better traction and cheaper. It was $87 shipped to my door.

Bias ply is what was stock on the 1500's.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The rims are different for bias belted and radial tires. Not a good idea to put a radial on a bias belted rim or vise versa.
look at this video and decide if thats enough rubber on the ground for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts