Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are long time Honda owners but have decided to look for a used Gold Wing. Im looking for suggestions on what year and model is the best for less the 15K. What should I look for and what should I shy away from?

We presently own a VTX 1800R and a BMW R1200GS

Direct me to a previous gouge or send me a personal message.
[email protected]
thanks
chs

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where is home for you and the wife??

You probably want to look at GL1500's made from 1998 to 2000, or the GL1800 from 2001 to present. GL1500 had some issues with the bank angle sensor and alternators being somewhat under powered. But as far as motorcycles go, most Wings are free of major problems.

If I was buying my first Wing, I would look at the GL1800 from 2006 and up. Early GL1800's had some issues with frame cracks and coolant issues. The frame issue was handled by a recall notice and most bikes that had the recall done have been fine. I've not heard about many problems with the 2006 and up models. Nav units have some limitations regarding updating of maps, but not a big issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gold Wing

Thanks for the quick response. The wife and I live in Richmond VA and love to ride all year long. We look forward to having a new Gold Wing soon.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Glad to be of help. Some other folks on the forum from your neck of the woods. I'm sure you will be hearing from them soon...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Howdy skychs. If you are after used, I'd probably opt for a late 90's 1500 in SE level if you can locate one. Otherwise like TW said you might get one of the 1800's in your price range, just check if the frame recall was done; any dealer can search the vin# for you. I'd offer to but I don't think I can access American registered bikes through Honda Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Welcome from NC.

I think over time, you will hear that the 1500s are a little more comfortable especially for the passenger. The 1800s, a little quicker. If possible, I might test each out to see what suits you two the best. Some just jump on a stock bike and settle right in. Some seem to be irratated with the comfort factor and eventually buy a custom seat. All in all, I don't think you can beat a wing 2 up.

If you can try each out. If not set aside a little just in case one or both of you need a different seat. Other than that, I would expect you to be very pleased with the ride.

Good luck and stay in touch.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
For me it would have to be a 1500 and you can get some low mile ones every now and then. 1996 to 2000 had alternator problems, this happened when Hitachi switched production from Japan to China, if you intend to use a lot of electrical accessories upgrade to a Compufire charging system.

Welcome & greetings from Florida
:D

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome skychs, you have a fellow Virginian in CentreVille, chopiin 114, this is his ride of choice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I guess I'd have to say go with what you can afford.....I now have a 2010, I've had a 1978 and a 1981.........Loved them all.....I'd love to have my 78 back, but that's probably just because it was my first GL.... I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, Just look around and try to find one with fairly low milage and in good shape. Good luck hunting and post pics.............

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
For $15,000 if you look around you can find an 08 1800 for that price. There are a lot of late model low mileage wings for sale now for some reason. It's buyers market. Here are some examples of some for sale now.

For Sale is a Titanium gl1800 2008 ABS/NAVIGATION model with only 19,XXX miles. The bike still has extended warrenty avialable from honda. It has a RIVCO hitch with a 3" drop and 4 prong plug. Trailer has already been sold. $14,900. Please call with questions 563.260.3308. I can email pics to anyone that is interested. I am located in Muscatine, IA.

Thanks for looking.
Joe

2008 Gold Wing - Like New - $15,000.00
I'm looking to sell my 2008 Pearl White Gold Wing Comfort, NAV, ABS with 11,500 miles on her for $15,000 firm. I say "firm" because I believe that is an excellent price for this bike with the following accessories:
Utopia Backrest - Anyone who has had one knows how nice they are.
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs.
F4+4 Custom Windshield - I will also include the standard windshield.
Traxxion Dynamic Fork Brace - These make a huge difference.
Gerbings Tempurature Controller - Build-in on left side panel.

There are a number of other little items like trunk carpet, trunk and side bag luggage, a Kuryakyn drinkholder, etc.

This motorcycle is in excellent condition. The paint is very close to flawless with no scratches, dents, or scuffs. I have the maintenance records that show an oil change at 500 miles (Mobil 1), 4,500 miles (Mobil 1), and the complete 8,500 mile service (also Mobil 1 oil change at that time).

The bike needs nothing. However, in 1,000 miles it will be time for another oil change and the tires look fine right now, but you will have to consider new tires within the next few thousand miles.

I don't have any pictures for the bike right now but will this weekend. I can email pics to whoever might be interested. I would prefer that only those who live relatively close to southeastern Michigan consider this bike. I really don't want to ship it and I would like a prospective purchaser to see it first.

I'm selling my Wing because my wife and I don't ride it nearly as much as we had hoped to because she doesn't have the time. I also have a Triumph Scrambler that I intend to keep. I'm not done biking yet!
You can email me directly at [email protected] if you are interested. Thanks.

Caliente Red Metallic
20,700 miles
New Stones at 16,100 miles
Factory stock except frt fender ext
$16,000 firm
Clear title in hand
Factory warranty until 1-09-2011. You still have plenty of time to purchase a extended warranty if you want.
Will have pics when I have time to remove my trinkets! Two small nicks at back of shelter wher custom seat rubbed paint!

2008 Deep Red Premium Sound FOR SALE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deep Red, 15,000 miles.
Power Supply in Left Front Pocket, along with Aux input lead.
At 12,000 miles put new Dunlop E3's Front and Rear, are in good shape.
Added the "vents" color matched from Road Trip Essentials to front cowl. Just added the Soundgate setup for playing IPOD through CD controls. Have full cover from Wingstuff has never been on the bike outside, only used in garage. Never been on its side. No scratches or gouges is in excellent shape. Also have 2 Black Bell helmets full face with tinted shields and J &M headsets inside (they can be moved real easy to other helmets.) Also have a Frogg Togg XL rain suit used for about 15 mins when I thought it was gonna rain but didn't.

Has Factory Warranty in place till June of 2011.

Maintenance:
600 miles Oil & Filter and Differential grease
3000 miles Oil & Filter Change
6000 miles oil & filter change
9000 miles oil & filter change
12000 miles oil & filter change and new tires and differential grease
15000 miles air filter and oil & filter change

I love this bike and really hate to sell but 30% pay cut means I gotta cut some costs.
$ 15,250.00 Is Below KBB Suggested Value.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I pulled this one off of joe's comment. It's my favorite. I bought mine with 8,000 miles last year for $18,000 with nothing on it but a seat and handlebars :2008 Gold Wing - Like New - $15,000.00
I'm looking to sell my 2008 Pearl White Gold Wing Comfort, NAV, ABS with 11,500 miles on her for $15,000 firm. I say "firm" because I believe that is an excellent price for this bike with the following accessories:
Utopia Backrest - Anyone who has had one knows how nice they are.
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs.
F4+4 Custom Windshield - I will also include the standard windshield.
Traxxion Dynamic Fork Brace - These make a huge difference.
Gerbings Tempurature Controller - Build-in on left side panel.

There are a number of other little items like trunk carpet, trunk and side bag luggage, a Kuryakyn drinkholder, etc.

This motorcycle is in excellent condition. The paint is very close to flawless with no scratches, dents, or scuffs. I have the maintenance records that show an oil change at 500 miles (Mobil 1), 4,500 miles (Mobil 1), and the complete 8,500 mile service (also Mobil 1 oil change at that time).

The bike needs nothing. However, in 1,000 miles it will be time for another oil change and the tires look fine right now, but you will have to consider new tires within the next few thousand miles.

I don't have any pictures for the bike right now but will this weekend. I can email pics to whoever might be interested. I would prefer that only those who live relatively close to southeastern Michigan consider this bike. I really don't want to ship it and I would like a prospective purchaser to see it first.

I'm selling my Wing because my wife and I don't ride it nearly as much as we had hoped to because she doesn't have the time. I also have a Triumph Scrambler that I intend to keep. I'm not done biking yet!
You can email me directly at [email protected] if you are interested. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello skychs, welcome to GWOF. good luck in your search

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can only quote from my experience having only had the 1800 2010 wing since September.

I have had two ST1100's both having seen about 75,000 miles on the clock when I sold them, I then went to the ST1300 of which I covered 104,000 miles I then went to the wing and I had only ridden one round a parking area! I was told they were easier to ride than the ST1300 and to me that was difficult to believe after covering so many miles on the 1300 but WOW, what a bike!

I do a lot of advanced motorcycle trainig over here in the UK and in the first couple of weeks I had run two advanced rider courses and an advanced instructor course and all I can say is what a bike, I was took back on how well it handles and it corners as if it were on rails, brilliant my only downside was the rear lights but that is in another post LOL.

All I can say it is a brilliant machine and am looking forward to next year when I can get some touring miles done.

Mick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gold Wing

Wow....
Thanks for all the posts. I never expected so many. Everyone has been very helpful. The wife and I are very excited. The VTX is up for sale and in two weeks we are going to test ride a Gold Wing down in Jacksonville FL. In the mean time I will keep my eyes open and keep following the suggestions here. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts