Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

best worn gear

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Freedom 
#1 · (Edited)
what gear do you all use? and is there a reason you use a particular type?

im trying to learn =) helmets - gloves - boots - jacket.

Thanks

#2 ·
Shoei-- cause it fits my head best and is highly rated. Helmets tend to fit shapes of heads differently from manufacturer to manufacture.
Gloves- I love Lee Parks last for more than ten years per pair and get more comfortable every day.
I have found tourmaster gear to be quality at a good price. I have so many jackets, can't help myself.

#3 · (Edited)
Joe Rocket for the jacket and pants. I don't recall on the gloves. Vega for the helmet. Tried Bilt for the pants, but they started falling apart, so I had to wonder what would happen if I needed to depend on them.
Forgot the boots HD branded engineers boots, good heavy leather.

Reactions: Maui and Kordin
#4 ·
Helmet--- I have 2 Bell helmets, that is the only brand I have found that fits my melon with out causing pressure point pain

Jackets...... summer I have a Joe Rocket mesh............. winter I have a MotoNation hi vis yellow

gloves.......... most of the time a pair of Wells Lamont work gloves made of goat skin.................... cold ..... don't know the brand, but leather gaunlet style heavy thinsulate lined

shoes,....... I know I shouldnt, but most of the time I just have on sneakers................. really cold long rides, I put on my hunting boots

#6 ·
forgot pants...........

warm weather....... Jeans................. cold what ever with leather chaps over

Reactions: Kordin
#8 ·
Aerostich Transit 3 suit (waterproof leather) 2 piece that is fully armored and zips together
Schuberth Pro 3 modular helmet (best and lightest helmet I have ever worn)
Aerostich elk skin roper gloves. The most comfortable glove I have ever worn. Last a long long time. Very reasonable price.
Alpinestar gortex touring boots
LD comfort underwear (top and bottom) (Excellent for controlling temperature hot or cold and getting the moisture off your skin - and then controlling the rate it evaporates to cool you in hot temps.)
On cold days, I have a warm and safe heated jacket, their 4th gen one.

I have worn all of this gear in temps as low as 20 degrees and high as 115 degrees.

I ride really long distances (800+ mile days, many in a row) rain or shine. I am leaving in a week for a 7 day rally that will cover about 12K miles round trip over a 12 day period and will be wearing all the gear above. I am expecting temps to be high 90s to about 105 during the day and as low mid 30s in some areas at night.

#9 ·
Aerostich Transit 3 suit (waterproof leather) 2 piece that is fully armored and zips together
Schuberth Pro 3 modular helmet (best and lightest helmet I have ever worn)
Aerostich elk skin roper gloves. The most comfortable glove I have ever worn. Last a long long time. Very reasonable price.
Alpinestar gortex touring boots
LD comfort underwear (top and bottom) (Excellent for controlling temperature hot or cold and getting the moisture off your skin - and then controlling the rate it evaporates to cool you in hot temps.)
On cold days, I have a warm and safe heated jacket, their 4th gen one.

I have worn all of this gear in temps as low as 20 degrees and high as 115 degrees.

I ride really long distances (800+ mile days, many in a row) rain or shine. I am leaving in a week for a 7 day rally that will cover about 12K miles round trip over a 12 day period and will be wearing all the gear above. I am expecting temps to be high 90s to about 105 during the day and as low mid 30s in some areas at night.
There are riders and then there are IB riders. I am from the first group.

#20 ·
You mean you are not interested in participation trophies? My 40 y.o. son still has his collection left over from High School. :ROFLMAO:
I am not into accolades or trophies. But I do like hearing about IB ride. I have back problems and joint problems and do a good job on the CAT rides. Being a newer member you will have to search for the CAT riders info on GWOF. Hopefully you will find a couple of stories of one Aussie with a bit of a lighter side to his riding.

Many of you here have joined in with this Aussie on some of my rides and would know that I kit up fairly well with. Motorcycle jacket, kevlar jeans, riding boots and leather gloves. :D

#10 ·
As you see everyone has their favorites when it comes to gear.
I'm a Shoei helmet fan, they fit me well. I wear hiking boots to cover my ankles and blue jeans. I wore an Olympia mesh jacket (it's hot in Florida so the extra airflow is a plus) for a number of years and liked it. Now I wear a Klim mesh jacket and am really happy with it. Both jackets came with CE approved armor and are very comfortable. I've worn a few different types of gloves. Main thing is to have good gear and always wear it.

#11 ·
Helmet; generally HJC as they fit me well, seem to be good quality and reasonable price.

Gloves; nothing particular, but I do have multiple ones for hot, cool, and cold weather.

Boots; I wear my work boots, Nick's Boots. A heavy duty boot but the most comfortable footwear I own.

Jacket; Joe Rocket mesh jacket for most of the year as it's hot and sweaty here in the heart of the Sweat Belt. Leather jacket for cold weather.

Pants; I do have a set of Draggin Jeans that was passed down to me (rarely wear), I have some Aerostitch mesh pants in a box somewhere (we moved into a new house and I haven't found everything yet), but most of the time it's just jeans.

#13 ·
Shoei lid cause my wife said only the best. Fits me well and has a built in com. Joe Rocket jackets 1 mesh and 1 for cooler times. Gerbing jacket and gloves for plugging in when the riding gets cold up here in the rockies. Just jeans on my legs. Milwaukee boots. Different gloves depending on temps. Fingerless and regular gloves with good palm and knuckle protection.

#14 ·
too much to want to list, its warm enough to wear my joe rocket ballistic mesh jacket, first gear rush mesh pants, and cortech aero-flo gloves. my boots are alpinestar new land gore-tex boots which are not being made anymore

#15 ·
Money, of course, is a factor in all gear. Many years I went with what I thought I could afford. As I got older and found I don't bounce or heal as well as I used to, so I directed more budget to gear.

The other big factor is fit. I need to try on helmets and have gear tailored.

#18 ·
Responding to OP:

Helmet: Schuberth C3Pro with Cardo Freecom4+ Bluetooth paired to Garmin Zumo XT GPS.

Pants: Rev'It Tornado3

Jacket: Dainese SP-R

Boots: Daytona Aero Sport GTX

Gloves: Bilt perforated leather (daily); Held Quattrotempi4 (touring)

Ride out of Tampa/St. Pete, FL. ATGATT. No exceptions. Gear is remarkably cool, and everything is Gore-Tex, except waterproof liner on pants which is proprietary to Rev'It. Do not own, or use rain gear.

#21 ·
Helmet: Scorpion. I like it but it’s aged out and am looking at trying another brand. Maybe Shoei or Scuberth.
Jacket: Tur (Italian) white, which is visible but gets dirty quickly! :confused: Has many zippered vents so it’s good for cold or hot weather. Comes with zip out liner.
Pants: Tourmaster overpant. Throw them on over my jeans if I’m just tootling around town. Pull them over long underwear for longer cool rides or over riding boxers for hot rides.
Boots: Aplinestars
Gloves: several pairs of light motorcycle gloves for warm weather. One pair of Revit warm insulated and waterproof gauntlet gloves for inclement weather.
On long trips, I pack all kinds of T shirts to either keep me warm or wick moisture away as conditions require.
ATGATT is my motto! Freaks me out to see people riding with no protection. Especially the young ladies perched up on the back of a sport bike in shorts, tank top, and flip flops with only a helmet for gear because it’s a law.

Reactions: NREMTP and Kordin
#25 ·
SCHUBERTH C4 helmet with their comm system. Klim Latitude hi-vis jacket & pants. Many miles, three motorcycles and 8 years, still going strong but hi-vis faded to plain yellow. Daytona Boots. Under garments- usually Eddie Bauer or other fast-drying, wicking fabrics, long underwear for cool weather. Warm'n'safe heated gear for cold weather. Now riding Goldwing Tour DCT.

#26 ·
Helmet - evoline
Gear - jacket and pants are first gear killamanjaro
Gloves - aero stitch during summer and heated during winter
Boots are ariat or cruiserworks

I live in Arkansas and also ride the bike 40 miles to work in an office. The temps right now are pushing 100 with 80% humidity. The ariat English riding boots look like wingtips, so I don’t have to change shoes. The winter temps get down into the 20s. During the fternoon ride home, I strap ice and water in a bladder on my back under the jacket. The evoline helmet can be full face or jet style, allowing me to control the airflow and change mid ride

#27 ·
Good questions.

I love Shoei helmets as well as Arai. Good protection and they fit me well.

My jacket in warm to hot weather is a Joe Rocket Phoenix. Very cool but very protective if needed.
Winter, I wear a leather jacket or Tourmaster touring jacket.

Heavy denim jeans year round with solid heavy leather chaps for winter or long cool rides.

Mechanix gloves leather palm and fingers with mesh back for summer gloves. All leather insulated gauntlet Tour Master insulated winter gloves.

I wear over the ankle hiking boots with the flatter reinforced toe to easily slip under the shifter. HiTec is my best fit, they breathe and are waterproof. The traction works great in sand, gravel or slippery oily painted on yellow turn lane indicators.

Impact resistant shatter proof polarized sunglasses or goggles if out West with blowing sand.

I'm and old MSF instructor that just can't ride without my safety gear. Been riding since my teens and I am long since retired now. The right gear will allow you to ride again if the worst happens. Dress to crash, ride defensively to avoid any avoidable circumstances.

#28 ·
Good questions.

I love Shoei helmets as well as Arai. Good protection and they fit me well.

My jacket in warm to hot weather is a Joe Rocket Phoenix. Very cool but very protective if needed.
Winter, I wear a leather jacket or Tourmaster touring jacket.

Heavy denim jeans year round with solid heavy leather chaps for winter or long cool rides.

Mechanix gloves leather palm and fingers with mesh back for summer gloves. All leather insulated gauntlet Tour Master insulated winter gloves.

I wear over the ankle hiking boots with the flatter reinforced toe to easily slip under the shifter. HiTec is my best fit, they breathe and are waterproof. The traction works great in sand, gravel or slippery oily painted on yellow turn lane indicators.

Impact resistant shatter proof polarized sunglasses or goggles if out West with blowing sand.

I'm and old MSF instructor that just can't ride without my safety gear. Been riding since my teens and I am long since retired now. The right gear will allow you to ride again if the worst happens. Dress to crash, ride defensively to avoid any avoidable circumstances.
Welcome to the forum. I see that your Wing is sporting the fastest color. ;)

#30 ·

Thanks
You live in a cold climate? If so, you should have heated grips, even if they are after-market. Heated gloves work better, but are a pain to install and connect each time you mount the bike.
Get a full-face modular helmet. A woman friend got t-boned, went over the bars, suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung. She said that the full-face helmet saved her from smashing
her face. HJC helmets are good and not nearly so expensive as Shohei, Nolan, Arai.

Thanks
Gloves - get riding gloves with the built-in knuckle and palm protection - in case you get acquainted with the asphalt.

#33 ·
I don't always wear a helmet, so can't tell you what brand it is, just know that it is super light, and has a flip down tinted visor. Thought it was cool and practical. A leather jacket when it's cold. Mine isn't a 'traditional' riding jacket, but it has a TON of pockets to put all my stuff in, so that's the main reason I wear it. Plus, it has a zip out lining, snap on fleece collar, and a hood, not that I've ever really used the hood. Gloves; I have my half gloves for when it's warmer, and my hubby's old driving gloves for when it's colder. Pants, usually jeans, but it it's very warm/hot, I wear bib overalls, and put a frozen bottle of water between the bib and me, to help me stay cooler (plus gives me more water to drink). Cold, long sleeve shirts, warm, short sleeves, sleeveless Ts on occasion. I have no problems layering up when need be. Boots; I currently am wearing my hubs' old riding boots, as we wore similar size. I did add some inserts to them, to make them a little more snug on my feet. I can tell you that they have a steel toe, and they are black lace up. I have chaps, and wear them when it's very cold, but mostly, the bike, with the heated seat, and those little vents that bring the heat off the engine up onto me, I don't need them a ton. I do have a rain suit, that I have worn more than I care to. It's an Easy Rider. It too, was my husband's, who inherited it from a friend, who passed away (his wife gave it to my husband). I don't usually ride when it's really, really cold, and I try not to ride when it's a blast furnace outside, but sometimes it's necessary. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.