i use camp dry for water proofing but i haven't used it on leather yet

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Camp Dry is the best I found..

·
Administrator
15,296 Posts
Take it from a firefighter/forester who works from the swamps to the mountains. If your boots are leather and oil tanned then you sould find and use Obenauf's. It is made from beeswax and other stuff that treats the leather kindly and still works to keep the water out. Nothing will work perfectly but this stuff will help your boots last a long time. Search for it on Google but if you have trouble let me know and I will send some links. A lot of wildland firefighter equipment sources carry this. One is the Fire Cache in Fort Collins, Colorado.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Obenauf's? I've never heard of it, but based on your authoritative recommendation I'll definitely check it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 questions about Obenauf's

Take it from a firefighter/forester who works from the swamps to the mountains. If your boots are leather and oil tanned then you sould find and use Obenauf's. It is made from beeswax and other stuff that treats the leather kindly and still works to keep the water out. Nothing will work perfectly but this stuff will help your boots last a long time. Search for it on Google but if you have trouble let me know and I will send some links. A lot of wildland firefighter equipment sources carry this. One is the Fire Cache in Fort Collins, Colorado.
1) do you need both the "leather oil" and the "boot preservative"?

2) does your firefighter community have any experience with "Sno-Seal"? (I still have some of that from a million years ago)

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Lots of tried and true products like Dubbin, Saddle Soap etc. Good old shoe wax/polish doesn't hurt either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts