Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
25,875 Posts
10k miles is very good for an 1800 from what I know, front or back. I have minor/barely visible cupping on my front at 8k miles andI'm not concerned (yet). My rear tire is fine. the general concensus is 'stones' are a bit better, but I won't know for a good while since I have another D250 to wear off after this season or close to it. I'll run another D250 front when I do that, then it's either 'stones or Avons, jury's still out and it may come down to whatever deal I get from which supplier I have at the time.
Lone Rider I have TorqueMasters on my '09 and luv em. A couple riders have the Cobras and seem happy too. You have to be sure you want more sound though, because one of the most aluring traits of the GL is it's quiet note. Be careful what you wish for, a louder Wing isn't for everyone, but I luv mine!:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting to note that if I remember correctly, the 2012 Wing comes with Bridgestones as OEM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran the factory Stones for 17,000 km's then switched to the E 3's. They were fine in the dry but in the wet, frigging horrible!! I did however get 20,000 km's from them. I am now running Brigestone Excedra Max Z/R . At $265.00 taxes in at Pocatelo Power Sports for both they are a winner. Performance in the wet is very good and in the dry, execeptional !!! I have 10,000 km's on them now and they are wearing fine. I will NEVER run the E 3's again unless I am living in Death Valley.

·
Premium Member
23,808 Posts
Had Metz and was happy with their performance. They are " considered " by some to be soft tires which means they grip the road. I had about 12,000 on the rear and it was still road worthy, albeit noisy. Replaced with a Kuhmo Run Flat car tire. The front had 7,000 miles on her but picked up a screw, replaced with a 'Stone 709. Right now I'm running on new tires and it of course feel good.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Jeez, I always seem to be in the minority. With the new wing, this is my first experience with Bridgestones. Leaving my dealer today, 2 consecutive left turns at 2 consecutive intersections and the bike got squirrely over the tar snakes, don't recall ever feeling those before on the 15 with E3's. I'm still a little uneasy on the bike in the rain as well, not sure if it's the new bike (4.5K) or the tires. Never had a real cause to complain about Dunlops, Ran 491's on the 12, stock dunlops on the 96 and E3's on the 2000, never hesitated on a normal road surface wet or dry! Not sure what kind of milage I'll get out of the stock stones, but the E3's I saw at Gene's Gallery looked like they had a ton of meat on them. Other than the stones being OEM on the bike, it will take some convincing for me NOT to go back to the Dunlop E3.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am on my third set of tires on my 06 gl1800 ,my oe tires were dunlops that lasted 16000 miles and made alot of noise,my second set were a set of dunlop elite 3 and lasted about 12000mi I honestly replaced them cause I could not stand the noise from them anymore.I spent alittle time researching and found avon cobra av71,av72 tires.These tires are a dense belt in the center and a less dense belt on the shoulder for extended wear.All my rear tires so far have always after about 4 or 5 thousand miles had a flat spot with feathering on the edges and when riding double made alot of noise or when lightly leaning made noise and i can honestly say after 3 thousand miles my new set of avons are still perfectly round,but i still have a few more miles to go to be for sure[

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best tires for 1800

Just returned from a trip from NC to Denver Co and back, 5000 miles in 11 days on new Bridgestones on my (new) 2008 Wing. The weather was really poor for most of the trip, and the 'Stones were excellent; no sign of drift or poor adhesion in the wet, and no snaking on the tar joints on the road. My other bikes are on Metzelers, but these will also get changed for Bridgestones when due for replacement. The Wing is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden.

Ride safe, all.

·
Administrator
25,875 Posts
I'll be mounting my OEM D250 and replacement rim sometime next year. and will go with another D250 for the front at the same time. I have little to no complaints with the handling, wear, or ride and I've been in some torrential rains with them. If I didn't have the already mounted spare, I'd likely opt for the 'stones that the 2012's come with. I also have heard that the Avon Cobras are pretty well recieved too.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if you are not talking the '18 newer 1800s

195-55R16........... pick what ever you like best

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.