Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, My new 09 GW1800 is nearing 10K - has factory Dunlops. I'm a bigger guy with big Spouse and Kids. Towing long distance too. Starting to get a lot of growling and semi cupping on the back. Looking for advance info before "the time comes" to replace. What's "the best for the above issues. I've heard Dunlop 400 series?
Thanks, ProfsTel

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Welcome to the forum Profs from the Keystone state and congrats on your 09 Wing. Lots of choices out there. (Dunlop, Metzler, Avon, Bridgestone and others). Everyone has an opinion on the best one.. If you check the websites you can find the weight limits for each and go from there. From what I can see on other forums most like either the Dunlop or Bridgestone. I've not had to replace mine yet, but on my 98 GL1500 whenever I had to replace them I went with the OEM tires that came with the bike. Your choice, your $$. Do some research and good luck. Ride safe..

·
Registered
1 Posts
hopefully found my favorite tires

I am on my third set of tires on my 06 gl1800 ,my oe tires were dunlops that lasted 16000 miles and made alot of noise,my second set were a set of dunlop elite 3 and lasted about 12000mi I honestly replaced them cause I could not stand the noise from them anymore.I spent alittle time researching and found avon cobra av71,av72 tires.These tires are a dense belt in the center and a less dense belt on the shoulder for extended wear.All my rear tires so far have always after about 4 or 5 thousand miles had a flat spot with feathering on the edges and when riding double made alot of noise or when lightly leaning made noise and i can honestly say after 3 thousand miles my new set of avons are still perfectly round,but i still have a few more miles to go to be for sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whew! Glad this is not an offensive site as talking of tire brands on other sites will stir up a firestorm. I too read a lot of replies and a whole lot of folks favor the Bridgestones. I have a Michelin on the front and two dear whistles so I really don't know which is causing the whine I hear, but I did not get but about 7800 on my oem Dunlops.
You would think that some manufacturer would come out with a long life, run flat, type tire for motorcycles. If anyone knows for a fact of one, I'd like to hear about it...and please no dark side car tires at this time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have ran Dunlops on all my Gold Wings in the past, now I run Bridgestones 709 front and 704 rear. I like them a lot!!

Reactions: Rusty360

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
the load rating for the dunlop 400 tires is too low for a fully loaded wing. funny thing about dunlop e3 tires is the ones on my 1200 don't make any noise and the e3's on my 1500 only make noise sometimes. i thought it was pavement related but even going to and from work ( i take the same route ever day ) there noisy one trip and not the next

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive had nothing but good luck with the stones they last as long as the e3's and grip like the avons plus you can usualy find them for less! good luck

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Years ago, many years ago, like about 30. I used to replace my original tires with Continental tires. They were quiet and very good in the rain....I don't know where they stand now....

Reactions: GoldWing258

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Kurtski.I have an 06 1800 also and just love it.A lot of guys in here are really long time owners of wings,it would seem and i would like to ask all of you one question.Why is the tranny (or engine) so whiney ?
its really the only thing i dont like about my bike.the previous owner upgraded to a new wing and he told me they are all the same,including his brand new one.does anyone else have this complaint, or should i just put a throatier exhaust system on it and turn up the CD volume ?
Cheers
Graham from Downunder

·
Registered
34 Posts
noise

hey guys you hear tire noise and crying about engine whine on your wing i road harleys now thats noise my wing when i hit the gas you hear grrrr and i dont even hear tires rolling its like its floating down the road

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wore out the stock Stones in 16000 Km's ( about 10,000 miles). Installed Elite 3's and have 6500 miles on them and they look like they will not last much longer than the Stones. But and this is a big "But" the Stones were good in the rain and quiet, the Elite 3's (Dunlop) are very noisy and the front is positively spooky in the rain crossing soft tar expansion strips. I have been riding for 47 years and I have never had a tire than I had zero faith in running in the rain until I started to run these Elite 3's.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The factory dunfloppys went 7,500 on the rear then a sidewall bulge emerged.
The front went 9,100 and cupped out badly.

I have a set of Elite 3's now and they even removed all signs of decell headshake. Happy for now.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I was going to wait until next year to replace the front but it is going downhill fast. I can feel the wobble when I " push " the bike in the driveway. Not to be a renegade, but my choice will either be the Metz ( to compliment my rear tire ) or the Stones. I like the shop I patronize and my method is to give them my preferred choices and let them decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Car tire on the rear will last twice as long & is quieter , smoother ride. Bridgestone 709 seems to be a favorite front tire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had to replace my rear Dunflop tire due to a dang roofing nail at 300 miles. I replaced it with the 704 'Stone, and am very happy so far. Got the tire for about $130, Honda dealer mounted/balanced it for $45.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of our local Honda dealers sells takeoffs from trike conversions. I think they sell for $200. for tire & wheel. Very easy to change out rear wheel & having an extra at home comes in handy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Best Tires For Your Bike

Rider Magazine's March 2011 issue has a very good article on Motorcycle tires. Intersting to note is that Bridgestones are OEM tires on GoldWings, except in the USA where Dulops are used.

After studying the different tire brands, I think I'm going with Bridgestone when the time comes. I used Metzlers on my Triumpn Rocket, they were fine. My last Kawasaki Voyager came with Bridgestones, they ran an estimated 9300 miles before I changed them. (Still had thread left, but I had another 3000 miles left on my trip so better safe than sorry.)

Read the article, make up you own minds. Please note, the info supplied on each tire is provided by the manufacturer...and we all know they don't lead biker down the garden path. :)
T-Rex

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have E3's front and back on my 08 now. I am near 15K miles and still have some tread left. They are noisy but I can't fault the tire at all. Great mileage. I have several friends that run the stones and they say they are noisy in turns as well so I don't know what I will do next.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.