Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in going DS for a number of years and I think I'm ready to put a CT on the rear of my 2015 GL1800. I've had a GL1500 and a few 1800 and the speedo's were off about 3MPH. My 2015 is spot on and I would like to keep it that way.

From what I've read the 195/55/R16 is the most popular size. Would this size CT throw my speedo off?

A few questions concerning handling.
With a CT installed on my 1800, what could I expect my bike to do if I was to stop at a stop sign and the road had a deep slope to the shoulder? Would it be hard to keep the bike upright on a sloped road when stopped? What about pulling away from the stop sign, would the CT want to lay flat to the road which I think would unsettle the path of travel?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
There is a thread on here all about dark side reviews
It will put the speedo off a little seems about 1 or 2 mph

a ct is most similar to a wore out mc tire
Especially after broke in
Getting a ct with rounded shoulders makes the transition easier
But once you hit the magic air pressure you will be glad you made the change
I know I will never go back to a mc tire
I also run a BT46 on the front

Reactions: 823Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 to 2 mph I can deal with. I was reading the thread "1800 Dark Siders Only". I'll have to go back to see which tires size 195/55/R16 have rounded shoulders. That does sound to be a good CT to start with.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Yokohama makes one and so does Toyo
nice rounded shoulders with a symmetrical directional tread design

the toyo is my next tire

Reactions: DanT87

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put my first CT on our 2013 F6B. I chose a Hankook Optimo H426B run flat. At 34psi there were some noticeable differences in handling. I tried increasing to 36psi, and the handling improved significantly. Increased it again this weekend to 37psi and took my wife riding. In town the ride was generally the same with the rear suspension feeling more comfortable due to the impact absorption of the CT. On the highway the bike handled beautifully and we both thought it felt better than the stock Bridgestone G704.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just put my first CT on our 2013 F6B. I chose a Hankook Optimo H426B run flat. At 34psi there were some noticeable differences in handling. I tried increasing to 36psi, and the handling improved significantly. Increased it again this weekend to 37psi and took my wife riding. In town the ride was generally the same with the rear suspension feeling more comfortable due to the impact absorption of the CT. On the highway the bike handled beautifully and we both thought it felt better than the stock Bridgestone G704.
Thanks, I can see I'll need to adjust the tire pressure some to fine tune it.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
my yoko liked 35
some tires like 26
that is the hard part...
I would say, start at 32 and go both ways running the same roads until you feel happy
plus we all have slightly different driving styles which also influences

but I am telling you
the first time you have to really brake hard, or have to really accelerate, or the first day in the rain
you will say "why did I wait so long"

Reactions: 823Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my yoko liked 35
some tires like 26
that is the hard part...
I would say, start at 32 and go both ways running the same roads until you feel happy
plus we all have slightly different driving styles which also influences

but I am telling you
the first time you have to really brake hard, or have to really accelerate, or the first day in the rain
you will say "why did I wait so long"
Is there a way to monitor the tire pressure during a ride? This is my first bike with a TPS.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
there are some things out there...... but they are not Honda

there is one that has a fob looking thing that shows air pressure at each tire, you can get them for cars too
one is made by fobo it blue toothes to your phone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts