Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gold Wing Audio Comfort Navi XM -- Base MSRP $26,680.00

I'm trying to figure out the best base price out-the-door for a new 2012 Goldwing with navigation, but without airbag and without ABS brakes. I hate haggling, but want to feel like I got a good deal -- the dealer can make a little on the sale, but not too much. Tax in California is 8.25%; licensing is about $400.00 on this type of bike. Any ideas on what the best price should be? I would be writing a check to cover the entire balance due.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome lawlist. I can only offer where I'm at on a new (Cdn) AL model (no airbag but everything else exc XM). I have one on the floor at $30k all included (GST and all set-up included) and no this is not a sales pitch, just FYI. Plate/license up here is a separate entitiy, the dealerships have no hand in that like in the States, Provincial Registries handles that but it's $75 annual I think. I'd be more exact but I always wait until the snow's gone before I pay mine, it comes due in January so no riding until April. Dang Govt get enough of my coin anyway.
Not sure about what it costs dealers across the line for freight and what they build in for set-up but up here freight costs the dealership$265, and it takes us 4 hours to do a proper set-up on one, so $396. Say what you want, these are real dollar and cent costs that do not go away. There is a $1000 rebate on the '12s right now, and that leaves little to no wiggle room left. You'd be more than shocked at what the bottom line is on a Goldwing. Honda USA is a far larger entity than Honda Canada so their incentives may be a tad stronger, but the shops aren't getting rich on these deals. Percentage wise, other businesses gross way higher than the dealerships do, likely the ones that many of you run do too. I know, I've been there on other business ventures myself.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Buy My 2010 Wing, Save Big Bucks

Gold Wing Audio Comfort Navi XM -- Base MSRP $26,680.00

I'm trying to figure out the best base price out-the-door for a new 2012 Goldwing with navigation, but without airbag and without ABS brakes. I hate haggling, but want to feel like I got a good deal -- the dealer can make a little on the sale, but not too much. Tax in California is 8.25%; licensing is about $400.00 on this type of bike. Any ideas on what the best price should be? I would be writing a check to cover the entire balance due.
I have a 2010 Yellow Wing, no nav, no air bag, but a dumptruck load of other accessories. Currently I have under 18,000 miles on it. If interested send a post. Also, the money you save will pay for your flight from CA to FL :) Were talking close to 10,000 savings.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With respect to this particular model (Navi, but no ABS and no airbag), does anyone know approximately what percentage of the MSRP is the dealer's cost (including freight and assembly)?

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
PM your way buddy.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Just a thought, but I live in california and when buying anything new, especially a vehicle, i go to oregon. The money you save with paying no taxes far outweighs the tax you would get from bringing it into california.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Do some research on the web for best price. Check eBay, they have a number of dealers who sell on there. I found a dealer in SC that was $4k off of MSRP for my 09 base model..

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 Goldwing with ABS & Navi $23680+tax. Just picked one up last week. Awesome bike. Seems many guys don't like the 2012 re-style and I found many dealers willing to talk price. Shop around. They have been out a year now. Many still have 2010's latin around too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The posts by everyone in this thread have been very helpful. I stopped by the dealer yesterday and they have a 2012 with ABS and Navi, but it has a MSRP of $27,900 plus their freight and assembly. I asked about incentives and rebates, they said there is presently only a $500.00 factory rebate on a cash deal, plus a $150 discount called dealer bucks which they can use on a discretionary basis (but the quantity is limited on a monthly basis).

bdr1340: What state / country are you in? Did you have to pay an additional $1,000 for the combination of freight and assembly?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
There's a dealer in Russellville Arkansas that sells new Wings at good prices, for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Lawlist, that's what is advertised on Honda.com for now. Yes our Canadian rebate is $1000, but our MSRP is much higher, $29,999 and there are only tow models up here: one with and one without the airbag, all other equipment is included (Navi, Comfort, ABS) on both. We also only have the non-airbag model in red/silver, and blue/silver only with the airbag. The finance rates down your way are better, 1.9% but I don't know what the terms are. We're 5.9% over 36 or 48 months only. No accessory allowance on either side of the border that I know of, but it could exist down there, I just don't know. bdr, if you got yours at that price, you got a heckuva deal...likely at or even below invoice if that's what you call level 3 down there based on my margins; I assume the percentages would be roughly the same. As I mentioned before, the gross profit margin on bikes (especially Wings) is very low.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in new York freight + prep included. There are a few fees associated with finance.
Minimal though. 401 additional . Cash would save this fee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
bdr1340: Excellent -- that is exactly what I needed to get the best deal! Thank you very much -- greatly appreciated! Now I can feel comfortable demanding that price and threatening to walk out if they don't accept it.

$23,680.00 + tax of 1,953.60 + licensing of $400.00 = about $26,000.00 out the door for navigation and ABS on a 2012 wing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see you were looking at non abs. I still have an 03 BMW k1200 gt and got caught in a snow squal. 2 inches on the ground immediately and got cut off by a person not paying attention. Grabbed the brakes and the abs kept me upright and straight. It saved my rear and bike. I've been sold on abs ever since.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Yup, you can't avoid the loan registration fees, it's what the bank charges each customer for writing the paper. Finance brokers also charge an admin fee, it's how they make their money. If your dealer has a business officer, they charge a percentage as well, that's how they get paid (commisions). ESC's and protection packages (usually car dealers for rock guard etc) are other 'value added' upsells that the dealer makes extra on. Up here there's a tire recycling fee ($4 per tire) that the dealer has to pay so that will get added in too, but at least that's a real cost.
Just a word of warning if you're buying an automobile. Be aware of whether they dealer charges extra for the a/c tax, that is ALWAYS already added in on the price of the vehicle. Ask for the window sticker the vehcle is shipped with, it's right there in black and white. That's why most dealers take the stickers off.;) That's another $800 up here. Can't eat that Elmer, it's horse apples:mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts