Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

While we enjoy ripping on substandard motorcycles, crappy bikes are hard to find these days. Take a look at any of our comparison tests from the last couple of years and you'll find only marginal differences between our declared winners and their competitors.

With so much high-quality product to choose from, culling the field down into our Best Of winners was an arduous task. But that didn't stop us from coming up with our favorite stuff from the class of '09! Introducing the first-annual Motorcycle.com Best Of awards. And the MoBo goes to...

Find out which bikes were named in the Best of 2009 - Motorcycles of the Year on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best bikes for 2009

Well I would have thought the Victory Vision would have come second to the Honda 1800 Goldwing but it looks like I was wrong as the winner was a BMW R1200RT as the best touring bike of 2009?????

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Personally, I like the feel of 900 + lbs. under me. It makes me feel equal to the interstate traffic around me.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
They never said anything about maintenance cost of the BMW. A friend of mine had one, spent over $2,000 in maintenance in one year. major service every 6,000 miles, includes valve adjustment, tires last only 7 to 8,000 miles. And the pipes look like heck after a few thousand miles. He now has a 1200GT and loves that bike.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
What journalists never admit to, is that they have deep subjective feelings about the bikes when they do comparisons and tour tests. They often get swayed by the amount of testosterone a bike sets running rampant in their veins, hence the consensus on the 1200GT (imho). Drop some bags and a tour box on the new VFR, an FJ1300, the BMW 1300ST and maybe even a Concours 14 and include the 1200GT in that group and see what happens. Keep the full blown tourers in their own group for gosh sakes. Our land yachts (irregardless of badging) are big luxo tourers; end of story. The LT is the only Beemer that belonged in that category, and it is why our 1800 Wings are what they are today. The LT's were regarded as superior to the 1st generation 1800. Closest thing physically to the 1200GT is the ST1300 with a top box, but it lacks the luxury items (are you listening Hondaline people?) and it's way long in the tooth to mix it up with the latest reditions from other OEMs (not overall sheer performance #'s though). As for the maintenance, BMW is famous for the high cost of ownership but they are still awesome bikes.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
that bmw is nice but if you think its expensive to take a wing to the dealer for service just get a bmw

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I am the owner of a 1995 GL 1500 Goldwing Aspencade with 230,000 kms on the clock & looking for a replacement in the near future as the new GL1800 Goldwing luxury model with the airbag cost some like $45,800 + On Road Cost (ie Rego, Green slip Insurance & dealers delivery costs) here in Australia.
Yes the Bmmer are very costly to have them serviced as I should know as I have owned a few in the past (ie: like $1000 to replace the clutch on a second generation Boxer & $26 per spark plug) & so is the GL1800 over my old GL1500 where is just replace 6 spark plugs, oil, oil filter & clean the K&N air filter. So maybe I will go for a Victory Vision as my next big long distance tourer as it is only $40,000 ride away cost + the servicing cost should be lower as it has the same running gear as my old GL 1500 but instead of 6 spark plugs I will only need 2 spark plugs. Well the Victory might not have the horsepower of the 1800 Goldwing & it does have 1 less ftlbs of torque over a 1800 Goldwing. But what I really like about the Victory is that it is the other American made motorcycle seeing that the 2010 Goldwings are now made back in Japan and not in Ohio America.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
sounds like me, Joe.

I would love to have a BMWRT. I would not even consider paying the maintenance costs to keep one. In my first year on my wing I rode 36,000, miles. On a Beemer that is 6 valve checks/ adjustments plus a whole lotta other stuff at way to much cost:eek: plus 4 sets of tires. I'd rather Wing it !

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I don't think there is a bike that can beat the Goldwing when it comes to quiet, power and styling and so the Goldwing will always be at the top of my list. Ditto for the 2010 Wing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The average person doesn't have a clue to the amenities that a Wing has. I tell people not to feel sorry for me...."I drive a 2-wheel luxury convertiable.":D I did take a long look at the BMW as an alternative to the Wing. Maintance costs and sheer lack of a dealer network (some states don't even have a BMW dealer) where the big worries. We planned to go places and Honda pretty much has your back as you travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes the writers of these comparison articles are under a short deadline (30 days) and they only ride a few weeks before writing the article. All of this is to be considered as well. If a writer had all the bikes to be compared for 2 years before writing the article - then it would be a better comparison. But then it would be old news as all of us would have already covered the important issues on our Forums!

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
you dirty dawg you! I always wondered who wound up with my ex wife! Now i know.........lol

LMFAO, that's good.

:D :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts