Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a tomtom rider gps,total waste ,cant be seen in daylight,tomtom support said sorry about that! so i sold that piece of crap & bought a garmin zumo 660,it has a 4.3" backlit screen which i can see in direct sunlight! best of all it has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack,which i connected to my gl1800's aux input jack ,so i can hear spoken directions through my bikes audio system!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bobby
I have a Rider 2. I like the waterproof feature and I have a shade on the screen. Wish it had a built in speaker. However the blue tooth works fine. I would have gone with a Garmin if I had known.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea.the garmin is waterproof, has built in speaker,mp3,blue tooth,and best of all u can hear it through the radio & see it in the daylight.i had the rider2,doesn't come close,even with the sunstopper visor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zumo 660

Bobby,
I have a new Goldwing and a Zumo 660 as well (LOVE the 660!). I just bought the Ram mount for the Goldwing and the extra wired head that screws to the mount from Garmin (that the Zumo fits into). I used the original mount on another bike. How did you wire yours into the Goldwing? Do you have it set up to listen to audio directions and music through your headset? If yes, do you do that through the AUX control button on the radio?

Thanks! CD

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/451_GPS_Device_Brackets/3732_GL1800_Goldwing_GPS_Mount_Midway,i used this mid mount ,much nicer than the ram.wire the power to a keyed feed & it will turn itself on and off with the ign. key.from radio shack i bought a 3' aux extension and a spitter (1 female end 2 male ends)remove the left box and aux plug & connect the female end of the splitter to it ,then put 1 male end back in the side box and the other one connect to the extension and run that out to under the seat where you can plug it in to the gps harness.then you can hear directions through the aux on the radio or through a pluged in headset, plus you will still have a aux plug in the left box if you ever need it ,just don't plug in 2 things at the same time!hope this helps ,bob

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I know what you mean about the screen washout. I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 with the same problem. There are visors you can buy to put on the units which helps a little. My Garmin has a FM transmitter which I tune to a low FM station and I can hear the directions thru the radio/headsets. That helps some. I like the Zumo and they are probably the best for m/c's but I just could not justify the $600+ price. Maybe when my ship come in I'll have some extra $$.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$549 is still better than $2100 for the nav package,which is made by garmin for honda and the zumo 660 is much better (portable,touch screen,holds photos & mp3's,easier to program and can be used on the go)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Garmin Customer service is without peer.

I bought a Garmin Zumo 450 from Amazon in December 2008. In May or June 2009 while riding in a terrible downpour the unit (supposedly waterproof) got water logged. I called Garmin and they replaced it without charge. Last week in March 2010, the unit developed a defect. Mind you this unit is over 15 months old and Garmin replaced this again. All I had to pay was the shipping of the old one back and the new one to me.

This is great customer service.

I bought a life time map subscription for $119.00 which gives me a updated map just about every six months for life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts