Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an inexpensive GPS for my 1800 GW. I want one with bluetooth capable and able to connect everything through headset. Want to answer via screen but talk and listen via headset. Is there anything inexpensive out there? I don't want a Zummo.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I'm not much help with the bluetooth thing. (I tell my wife it isn't possible to connect to the phone on the bike. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) All I use the gps for is a rolling map and I have a simple Garmin 76Cx and use a Ram mount. But I may succumb eventually and want to hear what others say.

It will be a beautiful day for a ride in Mississippi. Our chapter will be at Chautauqua Lake Park in Crystal Springs for lunch today. Just riding around south of Jackson.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I take the Garmin out of the car and put it on a Ram mount, It's a Novi # something, from Costco for under $150. I do not like the trafic warning feature. I would not consider any brand but Garmin

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understand, I do have the Navi system on my '08 model but I am wanting one that has bluetooth capibility where I can plug in to hear my gps in the headset and also answer and talk through my headset. Surely there is a model out there beside the Zumo's which is out of my price range.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I have a Garmin NUVI 660 that I use on the bike and in the cage. Its not waterproof, but I carry ziplock bags to cover it in the rain. Like most GPS units it can suffer from screen washout in bright sunlight. It has bluetooth and syncs with my phone. It also transmits voice through the FM radio, so I can listen to the commands and hear when someone calls through my headset. The unit picks up my voice so I can talk while driving. I don't do that too much but you can if you want. Not the best sound quality for the person on the other end, but it works.

I paid about $165 about 2 years ago as a referb and it's had to be repaired once for a new battery. I bought a Square Trade warranty for about $25 so it was fixed for nothing. Don't know if Garmin still makes that specific model, but they do have others with the same options.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will look into it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have an orginal TomTom Rider. It has bluetooth but I don't use it. It was exspensive when I bought it years ago but I do like it. Its waterproof so if its raining its still in the mount doing its job and I signed up for a year and a half of map updates for $60.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just researched this same thing to death and I finally decided on the Garmin Nuvi 765T. It is almost identical in every way to the Zumo 660 but is not weather proof and cost a fraction of the price!

Garmin has several models with Bluetooth but there are only 3 current production models with the added feature of playing MP3's.
Those models are Garmin Nuvi 755T, 765T and 775T.

The difference between those models are this....
Garmin Nuvi 755T has MP3 function
Garmin Nuvi 765T HAS Bluetooth and MP3
Garmin Nuvi 775T Has Bluetooth, MP3 and built in XM radio

All other features and functions are the same with all three.

And if you go compare the Nuvi 765T with the Zumo 660, it is feature for feature identical in every way except the Zumo is weather proof and cost $700.

I just bought the Garmin Nuvi 765T for $149 on Amazon.com, it will be here in a couple days along with the RAM mount for it for $12 also found on Amazon.

It also has Lifetime Traffic updates and FM transceiver/Transmitter and reviews show it works very well with all cell phones VIA Bluetooth.

If you don't need the MP3 feature, there are several current Garmin models with Bluetooth, 21 to be exact. But for me, I need MP3 to reduce clutter, this will replace my ZUNE player and add GPS all in one unit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh and a word of warning. Steer clear of the sleek new NuView Garmin units!
Read the reviews on those things, they are connected to Google all the time and when you get near a restaurant, ect that is advertising with Google, you get pop-up ads!
They also use a feature called "Traffic Trends" Basically it learns how you drive and picks a route for you based on what it thinks you want instead of taking you from point A to point B is the shortest distance or time.
I have heard that on some units this feature is almost impossible to turn off.

Stick with the Nuvi 765 or 775 if you want a motorcycle friendly GPS.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Buzzy, I knew someone had done the footwork. Appreciate the time you put into it.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buzzy, does the bluetooth have a connection for AUX so I can hear the cel through my headset and also talk through the headset? I notice that it says it has a built in mic. I don't want to talk through it on the bike...too much wind noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought the Garmin Nuvi 765T for $149 on Amazon.com, it will be here in a couple days along with the RAM mount for it for $12 also found on Amazon.
Nice review of these models. Have you decided on how you will wire the power and return lines to your Wing? Something other than an accessory power outlet? I believe the Zumo 550 has an integration harness for power and connection to the aux audio connector.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice review of these models. Have you decided on how you will wire the power and return lines to your Wing? Something other than an accessory power outlet? I believe the Zumo 550 has an integration harness for power and connection to the aux audio connector.
For right now it will be powered VIA the 12V outlet. I currently have power chargers for the ZUNE and Cell phone ran neatly down the handle bar and tucked in to the fairing then in to the pocket where the 12V is. My audio cable is ran the same way but is long enough to be plugged into whichever unit I need at the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For right now it will be powered VIA the 12V outlet. I currently have power chargers for the ZUNE and Cell phone ran neatly down the handle bar and tucked in to the fairing then in to the pocket where the 12V is. My audio cable is ran the same way but is long enough to be plugged into whichever unit I need at the time.
Have you seen this sort of weather protection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360229120198&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here is a picture of the mounts I use currently for the android and Zune. Notice the wires coming from the bars.
The mount I have coming for the Garmin looks very similar to the "SlipGrip" you see in the picture.

Matter of fact, here is a link to the GPS and The Mount.
Garmin Nuvi 765T
RAM Mount for Garmin 700 series

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Personally, if it's not a real Emergency, I don't ride in the rain. But even times where I had no choice but to ride thru a rainstorm for a few miles, I have had plenty of time to pop the electronics off the mounts and stuff them in the side pocket before it get's too bad.

And I do not leave electronics on the bike unattended. So personally for me, "Rainproof" is just a nice added feature that I really would not get to use that much.

This is why I could not see shelling out $700 for the Zumo 660. It is almost identical to the Nuvi 765 but has the added benefit of being waterproof and they market it as "Bike Friendly" whatever that is suppose to mean. I just don't anything worth the premium they charge for it.

So to answer your question, yes I think I remember coming across that but didn't pay too much attention to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Consider an iPhone with the Motion-X app.. Put it in the waterproof cover designed for mountain bikes and with an FM modulator you will have the complete package. I just did it and it works awesome...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Matter of fact, here is a link to the GPS and The Mount.
Garmin Nuvi 765T
I ordered the GPS today and the weather-proof mount and cover. I'm like you and don't like to ride in the rain nor will we start a ride in the rain. However, we do plan to ride Yellowstone Park and Colorado this summer and feel the cover may be needed.

Thanks for the link, Buzzy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ordered the GPS today and the weather-proof mount and cover. I'm like you and don't like to ride in the rain nor will we start a ride in the rain. However, we do plan to ride Yellowstone Park and Colorado this summer and feel the cover may be needed.

Thanks for the link, Buzzy.
Where are you going to mount it? That case is for a 1" to 1.25" handlebar. You are going to need something 1" to 1.25" to mount it on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where are you going to mount it? That case is for a 1" to 1.25" handlebar. You are going to need something 1" to 1.25" to mount it on.
I want my GPS mid-way up the bar and that mount looks like it might open up to accomodate. It'll be tethered just in case. Have to see once it all gets here.

Right now, we are using a Nuvi 200 (from the Frontier) propped up against the left fairing speaker with some velcro.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts