Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many are using a bellypan and what make. Seems like a good idea as I would like to protect the plastic coolant tank. Are there any other advantages to it? My first Wing and I want to set it up right so I can enjoy lots of miles. I'll be installing my back rest and highway pegs and hand wings and cup holder tomorrow and I think the bellypan might be the last piece. For now......

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the bellypan might be the last piece
Brave words my friend, but alas the Wing is a hungry beast and it knows no limit when it comes to your wallet, be afraid, be very afraid.

In saying that this is the belly-pan i fitted and i like the small amount of security it gives me. I wont stop any large object from flying up and hitting your bike, but it may tend to lower the damage that it does

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/347_Belly_Pan/24485_GL1800_Performance_Stainless_2pc_Belly_Pan/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/347_goldwing_Belly_Pan/des/

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Like a lot a accessories for motorcycles-not worth messing with!
But then, If you decide it's a must have then......................
A lot of Wings out there with no damaged coolant bottles, just saying.............................

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I have one. A local fellow originally bought the non-louvered style, aircraft aluminum and decided he would rather have the " stronger " stainless steel one. He sold me his for $20. Now I had a VTX for a few years and it had the coolant bottle exposed about the same place as the Wing, albeit smaller, and never had a puncture. Belly pans are not even talked about on cruisers and they are closer to the ground. Some state better aerodynamics on the highway, especially with wind turbulence ???????? Seems logical if you smooth out a surface and cover some nooks and crannies you decrease drag and wind influence. I don't know, but it can't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When the belly pan came out way back when, they were advertised as helping the Wing in heavy wind, I had one on my 92 Gold Wing and it did nothing to help with the wind. The advertisement said that the wind caught the fins on the bottom of the motor and caused the bike to be pushed around as the fins acted like a rudder on a boat motor. Well when you have a 900lb motorcycle that is fully enclosed by plastic body panels like the gold wing it is like a billboard going down the street and nothing on the bottom is going to keep it straight up in a heavy wind. Then when the 1800 Gold Wing came out they were pushing the fact that it protects the coolant bottle and the oil filter from damage. I didn't buy mine on my 92 my wife bought it for me for my birthday. You can buy just a plate that protects the overflow bottle if that is what your trying to do, the belly pan is more trouble than its worth, IMHO. Plus I clean the underneath of my bike every time I wash the bike and the belly pan stops you from doing that. Here isthe bottom of my motor on my Wing with 30,000 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
trourke

Opinions, Opinions, Opinions. You know what they say about them? Anyway its seems that bellypans, tall windshields, car tires & superbraces bring out the most debates on wings. I have one on my 1500 (2 piece) & wouldn't be without it. In addition to protecting the bottom of the bike it does add stability if you do a lot of Interstate riding, especially when the truckers are blowing by you. I respect what others say & as always this is just One Ole Fossil's Opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Here isthe bottom of my motor on my Wing with 30,000 miles on it.
Show off... Go ahead Joe, make the rest of us look bad.... Oh..., that's right, you sold your Wing... Bet guy that bought it doesn't keep the bottom side as clean as you did. But I'm sure the underside of the Kow is really clean. Ride safe...

·
Registered
155 Posts
About a month ago I was riding home and a tree limb fell in front of me. And I mean right in front of me. All I had time to do was, brace myself and run over the limb. A hell of a bump and branches every where. Pulled over to the side and checked everything out. Made a hell of a racket and I though I had damaged the underside of the Wing. Everything was OK. I ordered the two piece stainless belly pan the next day Sitting in the garage right now and I plan on putting it on this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
About a month ago I was riding home and a tree limb fell in front of me. And I mean right in front of me. All I had time to do was, brace myself and run over the limb. A hell of a bump and branches every where. Pulled over to the side and checked everything out. Made a hell of a racket and I though I had damaged the underside of the Wing. Everything was OK. I ordered the two piece stainless belly pan the next day Sitting in the garage right now and I plan on putting it on this weekend.
Here I go with warped thinking. If you ran over a tree limb (which seems pretty extreme) and caused no damage, could you not make the argument that wasn't necessary in that situation probably wont be necessary in another? Glad you are ok and your wing is good. Keep riding safe! :cool:
I really appreciate the variety of opinions that come from this forum. You folks have helped me tons! Thanks for all input!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ralphumor, It was extreme. Scared me and I don't scare easy. I see your point of view and would maybe agree somewhat. Everything was fine this time, so it should be OK the next time I run over something. Maybe, and maybe not.
The next thing I run over could have some very sharp edges and cut up the tank and/or hoses (tires too for that matter). Then again, I could ride in a Ford F350 and pretty much not worry to much about running over things like this.
If I follow your reasoning, and have a wreck in a 1957 Chevy Belair that does not have seat belts, and I do not get hurt; then I do not need the seat belts on my 2009 Pathfinder because the next wreck I get in, I probably will not get hurt.
Huuuuuum, interesting thought !!

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
Opinions, Opinions, Opinions. You know what they say about them? Anyway its seems that bellypans, tall windshields, car tires & superbraces bring out the most debates on wings. I have one on my 1500 (2 piece) & wouldn't be without it. In addition to protecting the bottom of the bike it does add stability if you do a lot of Interstate riding, especially when the truckers are blowing by you. I respect what others say & as always this is just One Ole Fossil's Opinion.
you forgot the oil debate :) i have a bellypan but it hasn't been installed

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I ride a lot of dirt roads with my wing, I have a belly pan. Will it help ? who knows, but I know it won't hurt........

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
About 2 years ago while driving my dad's SUV I hit something in the road and it punctured the oil filter. We're talking zero oil pressure and zero oil in seconds. I bought the belly pan for the Wing only from that experience with a car/truck. I can't think of a good enough reason NOT to buy one.

Oh, and for curious minds, a pizza delivery sign flew off the car in front of me and that's what i hit.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Oh, and for curious minds, a pizza delivery sign flew off the car in front of me and that's what i hit.
What kind was it Sausage, Pepperoni, Mushroom? Ohhhh wait a minute you said it was a SIGN. Sorry I was getting hungry for Pizza there for a minute.

Nevermind... - Emily Littela

1 - 20 of 32 Posts