Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The louvered belly-pan I ordered arrived yesterday. I'm checking the forecast for a day when the temperature will be under 100 degrees to install it. I'm thinking maybe September. Any tips on installation would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
29,017 Posts
I don't know about an 1800 Will, but the 1500 was pretty simple to do. The only thing that I opted to do was because I had the 2 piece one the screws that held the front section on I put a little Blue locktite on so they wouldn't fall out. Then when I changed oil I would just clean the screw & locktite again.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
I put one on my bike and it took about 20 mins. Take your time and be careful that thing is razor sharp.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Post the web site , or picture, of the one you have purchased . There are a few different styles that all serve the same purpose but have slightly different mounting aspects.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I purchased the Performance Stainless Belly Pan with oversized fasteners. Here are some pics.
That's the nice one. I have the non-louvered aircraft aluminum and it is pliable and liberally notched to facilitate installation. You need to wear protective glove with yours as others have noted.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I like the idea of a bellypan but I fear I will just destroy it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installed the belly pan this afternoon--it was quick and easy. I took the advice of wearing a pair of gloves and was glad I did--that puppy is sharp on the edges!

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Installed the belly pan this afternoon--it was quick and easy. I took the advice of wearing a pair of gloves and was glad I did--that puppy is sharp on the edges!
Told you so... That's the one I purchased and installed on my bike...:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have one too, but I had it installed before I picked up the bike. Now that I've installed several items myself, I'm sure I could have done that one too. Oh well - I saved paying 3-4 hours of labor, so far, by adding goodies myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bellypan

First accessory for me. I owned a VTX before with the overflow bottle similarly located about 3" above the ground. Made a cover for it after bottoming out a few times... Should be there from the factory IMO. On the wing, I opted for the louvered type for better air flow, tho I have read that the solid type doesn't seem to effect water temp either. And YES the edges are SHARP, particularly the punched out louvers. Run a file across all edges before you handle it much! I was wearing some thin (Albeit cloth) gloves that got cut all the way through when filing!

My .02

·
Registered
48 Posts
Paid for !!!

Put one on my wing when new (2 mos. ago). Yesterday morning, zero-dark-thirty, I hit a tree branch about 2" in diameter and 18" long at 50 MPH. I felt it hit the bottom of the bike and my right footrest. :eek: Footrest is fine, and I still have an overflow bottle attached !!! No damage whatsoever to the bottom except for ding/scatches on the belly pan.

VERDICT?.......Belly pan paid for itself !!! :D

Seriously these should be OEM.

KID, I havent noticed heat but then it has been fierce hot and muggy this summer anyways!

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
the belly pan makes for a lot of heat on your legs/feet--any thoughts on that?
I had a belly pan on my 98 GL1500 and have one on my 1800 and have not found any significant difference in heat from the engine or engine temp on the gauge.

·
Administrator
29,017 Posts
I agree with Two Wheel on this, never knew of any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't noticed any increased heat problems since installing mine.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Mine's been on the shelf since I did the exhaust change. Had just too much grief getting the dang bolts, holes and acorn nuts to line up. I'll put it back on when I change the oil again, stuff like trees limbs and road debris are far too common hazards around here I'm noticing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Belly Pan

Oh...forgot to say: Also round off the corners to prevent scratching the bike or poking yourself. Another thing I noticed when installing mine, was that the front piece rattled against the rear piece when I lightly tapped on it. I took some black Gaffer, (heavy duct type) tape and wrapped it along the rear edge of the front piece....NO MORE RATTLE! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.