Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The louvered belly-pan I ordered arrived yesterday. I'm checking the forecast for a day when the temperature will be under 100 degrees to install it. I'm thinking maybe September. Any tips on installation would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
I don't know about an 1800 Will, but the 1500 was pretty simple to do. The only thing that I opted to do was because I had the 2 piece one the screws that held the front section on I put a little Blue locktite on so they wouldn't fall out. Then when I changed oil I would just clean the screw & locktite again.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I put one on my bike and it took about 20 mins. Take your time and be careful that thing is razor sharp.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Post the web site , or picture, of the one you have purchased . There are a few different styles that all serve the same purpose but have slightly different mounting aspects.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I purchased the Performance Stainless Belly Pan with oversized fasteners. Here are some pics.
That's the nice one. I have the non-louvered aircraft aluminum and it is pliable and liberally notched to facilitate installation. You need to wear protective glove with yours as others have noted.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like the idea of a bellypan but I fear I will just destroy it!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had one on my 07, it was simple to install.... BUT, if you ever want to remove it you will find that it is almost impossible... The holes are not slotted, and I found that I had to remove the exhaust cowling to remove the bloody thing.. Before I reinstalled it I used a drimal and cut slots from the screw holes to the edge of the pan. made installation much easier. But that is my opinion!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the belly pan this afternoon--it was quick and easy. I took the advice of wearing a pair of gloves and was glad I did--that puppy is sharp on the edges!

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Installed the belly pan this afternoon--it was quick and easy. I took the advice of wearing a pair of gloves and was glad I did--that puppy is sharp on the edges!
Told you so... That's the one I purchased and installed on my bike...:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have one too, but I had it installed before I picked up the bike. Now that I've installed several items myself, I'm sure I could have done that one too. Oh well - I saved paying 3-4 hours of labor, so far, by adding goodies myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bellypan

First accessory for me. I owned a VTX before with the overflow bottle similarly located about 3" above the ground. Made a cover for it after bottoming out a few times... Should be there from the factory IMO. On the wing, I opted for the louvered type for better air flow, tho I have read that the solid type doesn't seem to effect water temp either. And YES the edges are SHARP, particularly the punched out louvers. Run a file across all edges before you handle it much! I was wearing some thin (Albeit cloth) gloves that got cut all the way through when filing!

My .02

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've heard

the belly pan makes for a lot of heat on your legs/feet--any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Paid for !!!

Put one on my wing when new (2 mos. ago). Yesterday morning, zero-dark-thirty, I hit a tree branch about 2" in diameter and 18" long at 50 MPH. I felt it hit the bottom of the bike and my right footrest. :eek: Footrest is fine, and I still have an overflow bottle attached !!! No damage whatsoever to the bottom except for ding/scatches on the belly pan.

VERDICT?.......Belly pan paid for itself !!! :D

Seriously these should be OEM.

KID, I havent noticed heat but then it has been fierce hot and muggy this summer anyways!

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
the belly pan makes for a lot of heat on your legs/feet--any thoughts on that?
I had a belly pan on my 98 GL1500 and have one on my 1800 and have not found any significant difference in heat from the engine or engine temp on the gauge.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
I agree with Two Wheel on this, never knew of any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't noticed any increased heat problems since installing mine.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Mine's been on the shelf since I did the exhaust change. Had just too much grief getting the dang bolts, holes and acorn nuts to line up. I'll put it back on when I change the oil again, stuff like trees limbs and road debris are far too common hazards around here I'm noticing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Belly Pan

Oh...forgot to say: Also round off the corners to prevent scratching the bike or poking yourself. Another thing I noticed when installing mine, was that the front piece rattled against the rear piece when I lightly tapped on it. I took some black Gaffer, (heavy duct type) tape and wrapped it along the rear edge of the front piece....NO MORE RATTLE! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts