Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
It might be grasping at straws but I think the non-lovered would be ideal for the bikes with the toe warmers. Thoughts on this.......
I have a thought on this: I hope I have to wait until next winter to test your thought. Looks like someone was up late last night thinking.

·
Super Moderator
9,875 Posts
I had a belly pan on my 98 GL1500 and did not notice any significant heat increase. I just bought a vented pan for my GL1800 and it's on my "to do" list of installs for the bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Now that the toewarmers have been mentioned.Has anyone tried the Baker Built add on air foil flaps to their 1500,that are supposed to enhance the toewarmer performance,and if so could you tell a difference? The price seems a bit high for the two little pieces of plastic.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Now that the toewarmers have been mentioned.Has anyone tried the Baker Built add on air foil flaps to their 1500,that are supposed to enhance the toewarmer performance,and if so could you tell a difference? The price seems a bit high for the two little pieces of plastic.
You know I was kind of wondering that too. I just added the hand wings this winter looking forward to testing them but I thought the expense of the toe additions was too high as well.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Hey guys I've got them on my 1500, pricey yes but I really like them. Not only do they help keep your feet warm, but they keep them dry while riding in rain.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the good info. Matt,will be very useful for me here in Fl. with wet roads and rain.Guess i will have to bite the bullit and make the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Yeah Matt thanks for the review.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Went to put on my belly pan today. Not as easy as it would appear. You have to take off the lower front cowl to get at a bolt behind it that holds the exhaust cover on. That seems to be the only way that you can get the pan underneath the side covers.:confused:
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry, it's a 2009.
OK I got it. Had to take off the lower front cowl and remove two bolts from inside. I couldn't get it to move at all without these bolts removed but it is done.
As one other person recommended, wear gloves. I have blood drips all the way from the garage to the bathroom.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
Sorry, it's a 2009.
OK I got it. Had to take off the lower front cowl and remove two bolts from inside. I couldn't get it to move at all without these bolts removed but it is done.
As one other person recommended, wear gloves. I have blood drips all the way from the garage to the bathroom.
You must have bought the "louvered " model. The non-louvered one just slipped in by loosening the lower side panel fasteners. Cheaper was easier, go figure.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was washing the bike and I noticed something had impacted the front part of the bellypan. A rather deep 3 inch grove cut into it. I might have just got my monies worth already.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I got the louvered one. I thought of cutting a side slot into the slots so it would just slip on but I did it the hard way.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
Yeah, I got the louvered one. I thought of cutting a side slot into the slots so it would just slip on but I did it the hard way.
A fellow sold me his " non-louvered " pan on Craigs List for $30.00. He felt the louvered one was tougher and he lived in a road tough neighborhood. When I called him to acknowledge receiving the pan, he mentioned the difficult installation required and hoped the security was worth the effort.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Marcsvette,sounds like you were REAL lucky! You still have 2 tires holding air,yes? Have heard of others having all kind of damage to the pans on their 1800's,so at least they are good for that.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
Just ordered my pan from Wingstuff. I wasn't going to get one, but when my bike fell over last year, the lower cowl did get a crack in it. I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure it was from the curbside contacting the plastic. Didn't ding the muffler shield so go figure. Anyhoo, I figured it was worth the $50 for the protection (not from my dumba$$ mistakes) from Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Marcsvette,sounds like you were REAL lucky! You still have 2 tires holding air,yes? Have heard of others having all kind of damage to the pans on their 1800's,so at least they are good for that.
Frankly I hadn't really thought about that. I was just shocked to see the groove cut into it. Then my first thought was the salesmen telling me it's a must have item on Goldwings. I guess he didn't lie to me on that one.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts