Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my belly pan from wingstuff about 4 oclock today,went to the unheated garage(25 degrees here in huntington in.)at 6 oclock to install it.took about 10 mins. to prep(2 bottom fairing bolts each side,and remove plastic coating from both pan pieces)then 10-12mins. to install.no problems,except it seems to be looser at the back by the center stand and when i tap on it seems to rattle.will i hear this when i ride?if so,any fix suggestions?any experiences with the belly pan would be greatly appreciated!!by the way it is two piece vented.thanks to all,and to all a great safe ride!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
there is the possiability of some noise from the pan-- but very little ---- still goldwings dont make noise --so just take some plastic edge molding (pepboys sells it in a roll ) chrome and black and put it on the rear edge and that will stop the rattle and make it tighter-- when it get dirty or worn out just pull it off and use another peice from the roll--- and the wing stays quiet

·
Registered
266 Posts
Worked wonders for me on my 1500. I get little or no buffeting when next to Semi trucks now,plus much better handling in natural cross winds. I understand from others on here it will save your coolant bottle on your 1800. Ride often and safe.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
I've heard ther are concerns about heat buildup on the 1800's with belly pans. Any thoughts on this?
If you go to " WingStuff ", shop for a belly pan, you can read some of the reviews. The " louvered " type seemed to be the choice of those who previously had the solid pan. Whatever the degree of noticeable heat, all agree that the benefits outweighs the possible heat issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
redgoldwing1 What do you mean "heat buildup"? I'm about to install a non-vented one on my '95 Aspy.
Heat increase in the engine, or heat increase on you?

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
Carl. The reviewers made comments about heat around the lower extremeties. No reviewer mentioned anything about the actual engine temperature per-se. I always take reviews with a grain of salt on product sites, but it looks pretty obvious that the louvered model has more air flow than the solid pan. Now if your sitting still for awhile, both are probably equal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Carl-

The heat build-up in the engine was just something I was told by a rider friend to be aware of. Neither he nor I are wrenches...but it would make sense that on a hot summer day while moving slowly along on an intestate that's backed up, the heat build-up would be more on a bike with a belly pan. Could be that it would not be an issue - I don't know for sure...that's why I asked the question so- those that know more than I or those that run with a belly pan could educate me/others. Sounds like the pan with the "vents" might be the way to go.
Ride safe--Great forum.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
If our Wings were air cooled I think there might be a problem. Since they are water cooled it should be ok. The newer 1800's have larger radiators and better fans to address a hotter than normal engine. There is also a fix that involves turning the fan blades around so that the air is pulled in thru the radiator from the front, not as originnally designed. The older 1800's tried to push air out the front of the radiator and didn't work at all above 25 or so mph.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
Well.... I just bought a belly pan from a guy in my state. It's the aircraft alum. style on Wingstuff. $25.00, I'll look at it and decide to modify it with support or bracing if I don't like it as it is. The seller wanted a thicker pan , in his opinion, and bought the louvered one. I have driven my VTX around for a few years and never thought of a pan. Underneath, the set up and exposure are the same, the only difference is the VTX is " LOWER " to the pavement. I'll try to regurgitate this topic when I have a few summer miles and smiles on the belly pan.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I dont have one but it sounds like a good idea.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
I dont have one but it sounds like a good idea.
The insinuation leads to consciousness. And then after it's all said and done, there is still controversy. Buy the more exspensive louvered model if you get one. That way you will be above the inferior remarks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a non-vented one on my '94SE,no noticable difference with heat coming up. I am not an engineer,but i am a car wrench.Seems to me the main reason for installing the pan,at least on the 1500 would be compromised with having vents in it,that's my 2cnts.worth.Not trying to be inferior. What i have works great,so am sticking with it.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
OK. My slightly used aircraft alum. non-vented belly pan just came in. I'll get it on soon so we can compare notes and opinions of the heat questions raised by this addy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
A friend told me that there is less wind buffeting for the passenger after he installed the pan. I am talking about wind about the head & shoulders. Could there be trugh to this?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Red Ron,the airflow has been changed on a bike with a pan,so,hey,anything's possible,but haven't heard that one until now.Which model Wing are we talking about?

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
I put my slightly used non - vented belly pan on yesterday. The forward door panel fits above the front cowl and screws to the pan. It seemed a bit flimsy as I could take my finger and tap on it and get it to sound respond back. Took it for a good long highway and byway ride today and didn't notice any pan rattle. Can't comment on the aerodynamics that others have mentioned because I only rode the bike about 200 miles before the pan was installed. I stopped after a good 40 mile highway speed cruise and put my hand on the pan to check the temperature. It was lukewarm, but the temp. today only hovered around 60*. I'll get back to this post in hot August.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It might be grasping at straws but I think the non-lovered would be ideal for the bikes with the toe warmers. Thoughts on this.......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts