Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Yep. It's a problem. You are s.o.l. if you rupture that puppy, and it's exposed. The odds of it happening on any given ride aren't high, of course, but a piece of road trash in just the wrong spot will make your day less than hunky-dory. A belly-pan was the first add-on I bought when I got my Wing back in 2009.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I had a 061300 VTX with the coolant reservoir located about the same place and closer to the ground. Belly pans or other protectors were not an option. I don't think I gave it a second thought. It wasn't until I entered Wing World that this potential problem surfaced. I have on my Wing because of the suggestions on the forum; otherwise, I would probably be belly-less today.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
It only takes one ruptured tank to make you wish you had the protection. For around $70 consider it insurance.. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I had one on my bike for the first season. took it off when I did the muffler change and it neer went back on (long story about frutrating acorn nuts) that day. Probably will this spring though, I hate having purchases lying on the bench.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
If I do the Key west to dead horse I was thinking I would need one...can anyone recommend one?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I figured with all the rocks I have heard about up in alaska I best protect her belly....thanks for the info...

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
There's so much junk on almost all our roads, any prevention is better than repair. We just have to remember it's not an off road skid plate. Speed bumps and curbs and the like are still going to do damage. Half a ton coming down on a sharp concrete or stone object and something's gonna give.:(

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just had to replace a bottle. (it took a long time to get one) I wish I had known about the belly pans before, but I have one now. There are aluminum ones, and if something hits them they can be straightened. The steel ones not so easy to straighten, but do offer a little bit better protection. I got an aluminum one since I put over 40K miles before damaging the bottle, and I figure if I hit something hard enough to wish I had the steel one, I am going to mess something else up anyway.

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
I elected to put the louvered one on my bike shortly after getting it in 2009. With the heat we get here in the summer I figured a few extra dollars for air movement would be good. I've looked at it since and have noticed a few dents. I've seen some comments that this helps with crosswinds but I can't say one way or the other. I'm not sure how this would help that.

Here is the one I bought:
http://wingstuff.com/products/24485...-belly-pan-w-oversize-fasteners?from_search=1

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not trying to downplay the belly pan, but I fashioned a shield out of a piece of aluminum to protect the overflow bottle. Now I know this does nothing for the oil filter but at least the overflow bottle is protected. Also correct me if I am wrong; but if a bottle is punctured you can continue to ride. The rest of the coolant remains in the system. I assume if the system heats and expands and pushes some into the bottle it wouldn't be there to be drawn back in later which could eventually become a problem. Also I have read where others have repaired the overflow bottle with a plastic repair (from JB I think). Anybody here ever done this?

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Crownfire,

I put the levered on on a friends 2005 1800 15 min job, and I put the non louvered one on my 1500. I swear I don't know how it works but I am sold on them. Where I live we have wind all the time and meet a lot of 18 wheelers on the road. I used to get get pushed and pulled all over the road before the pan, now the bike never moves. Don't know how it works but it does.

Ibalee I would put the louvered version on yours from wingstuff.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Skid Plate

There's so much junk on almost all our roads, any prevention is better than repair. We just have to remember it's not an off road skid plate. Speed bumps and curbs and the like are still going to do damage. Half a ton coming down on a sharp concrete or stone object and something's gonna give.:(
I especially remember spring time in Alberta. Everything starts to melt and there is gravel everywhere. For that matter, seems like there is gravel year round. Every time you buy a new car its like you walk around on eggshells until you get the first rock chip. I think a skid plate is going to be on my parts list for sure.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a friend who can vouch for that. He took a short jaunt from Henderson to Searchlight (NV) for breakfast back in November. When leaving to head home, he cut a corner in the parking lot a little too close and clobbered a paver block. A few miles down the road, he said something didn't seem right so he pulled over and discovered the bottom of his bike covered in oil. Closer inspection revealed a hole in the bottom of the engine about the size of a 50 cent piece.

He filed a road hazard claim with his insurance company who thankfully paid for the replacement of the aluminum case to the tune of about $6500. :eek: Luckily there was no damage to any internal parts from running it after the oil dumped (which he credits to the use of synthetic oil.)

We rode with him to Death Valley two weeks ago and it ran great. He received two belly pans as Christmas gifts so he offered one to me which I have yet to install but will soon.

Like budoka said... Belly pans will save your reservoir, but they're no match for the big stuff.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Many miles with no damage so far but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I don't have a pan and so far haven't planned to mount one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.