Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just browsing all the goodies out there for the Wing (we have a new 2012 comfort/audio) and noticed the belly pan option. Anyone able to comment on this and offer suggestions. I have a Pit Bull Motorcycle lift and I think I need to purchase an attachment for the lift so it is compatible with the Wing. Will the belly pan help with this. I haven't had time to tinker with posting pics yet and I have a report on the successful gps mounting project. More on that another time.

Doug

We are excited aboout riding 100 today and 100 Sunday on a trip to Chambersburg PA to see the grandkids. Calling for bonus weather for November. Just waiting for 50 degrees to start out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Guys.....Welcome to the forum, I am sure the moderators and everyone else will also make you feel at home. This is the greatest group of owner and people on the web.
I flew from Oregon to phoenix to buy my wing....I have done this before. I have my clothing and jackets in a cardboard box which we ship. This trip I had my new.....belly pan in my travel box and installed it in the parking lot at the dealer.....5 mins.
I have a vented pan....adds protection to radiator reservoir and engine. ....is it necessary? who knows, is a warranty? life insurance? individual choice.
I have literally heard some light resonation of pan around corners but not a big issue.
It is not a load bearing item that has anything to do with lift operation....I am not sure if that is what you are referring to.
I donot believe a vented pan or really any pan adds significantly to heat of the engine.
Others more experienced than I will have opinions....
Welcome .....:)

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I have the same question, does the 1500 need a belly pan also?
Jack the 1500's coolant reservior is up and just behind the ignition key, so you don't need it to protect the reservior like the 1800 which is down behind the engine in the center stand area.
I had a belly pan on my 1500 but it got damaged a few years ago and I took it off can't say I've noticed any handling difference . With or without the pan.
Some claim it make a big difference in the wind, can't say I noticed any improvement when I had it on.
I think it's one of those thing, that it's your call on weather there is a handle difference or not.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Pretty much echo what's been said already Jack. The belly pan is NOT a structural addition, and the bike hshould not be jacked/lifted on it. does help with debris contact some, but it's not what I'd call armour plate.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Sure, after I just ordered a pan for my bike. :mad:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I hope you ordered the two piece. And if you get a bit of rattle where the front of the pan goes inside the lower cowl, you can bend it a little or do as I did and glue a piece of rubber on the end of the pan. Just a thought.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
I did get the two piece. Might have to come over there in the spring, have you help me install it. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Jack the 1500's coolant reservior is up and just behind the ignition key, so you don't need it to protect the reservior like the 1800 which is down behind the engine in the center stand area.
I had a belly pan on my 1500 but it got damaged a few years ago and I took it off can't say I've noticed any handling difference . With or without the pan.
Some claim it make a big difference in the wind, can't say I noticed any improvement when I had it on.
I think it's one of those thing, that it's your call on weather there is a handle difference or not.

Thanks Ron, good information. I am going to try to return the one I got. Jumped too soon.

Thanks for the info, should have asked before ordering.
That's my life. lol

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Thanks Ron, good information. I am going to try to return the one I got. Jumped too soon.

Thanks for the info, should have asked before ordering.
That's my life. lol
Like I said some folks claim it really makes a difference, for me not so much.
Now on the 1800 I can see it if nothing more than to protect the coolant reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
I have the stainless vented model.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Having been one who has had to replace the coolant tank I personally will NOT EVER run mine again without it! No weight to it and can barley be seen. Never had a problem with it interfering with lift. When first installed it did have MINOR rattle but like said a little bend to tighten it removed rattle! As to having more work when doing maintenance it has 2 zoot fasteners to remove front piece for changing oil filter and takes about 3 seconds to remove. I do notice more stability when in windy conditions as mine is vented and works like a vacuum to pull bike down at high speeds. As to added weight, it only weighs about 1 1/2 pounds so no concern there. JMHO!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.