Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Which belly pan protection did you install ?

• Traxxion Dynamics

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • WingStuff

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you installed a belly pan protection for your Goldwing?
If yes, which one did you select and WHY?

For starters, here are some initial reasons:
  • costs
  • ease of installation steps
  • perceived protection when it does hit a debris
  • influence from CruisemanGarage's video: his gut feel for Traxxion
  • other independent studies of crash tests over debris

·
862 Posts
I have read that Max (Traxxion) has made some minor changes to his plate to improve installation and use-ability. If I was a lottery winner, and could find a new wing to purchase. I would be picking up Traxxion’s suspension upgrades as well as his plate. The pictures of damaged engine cases doesn’t look nice.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read that Max (Traxxion) has made some minor changes to his plate to improve installation and use-ability. If I was a lottery winner, and could find a new wing to purchase. I would be picking up Traxxion’s suspension upgrades as well as his plate. The pictures of damaged engine cases doesn’t look nice.
Between the two, the Traxxion plate look and feel more solid.

But, there were discussions saying that the Traxxion option is bolted into the engine case which could actually increase the risks of tearing the engine case off when debris hit the plate.
How much truth is in this?

·
862 Posts
Between the two, the Traxxion plate look and feel more solid.

But, there were discussions saying that the Traxxion option is bolted into the engine case which could actually increase the risks of tearing the engine case off when debris hit the plate.
How much truth is in this?
Hmm, I don’t have any first hand knowledge of engine protection on the new wings. Just reading. That being said, I’d think that anything strong enough to damage an engine case with that beefy plate installed would most likely have destroyed the engine anyway. Speculative I know, but the other one is so flimsy that the same impact would surely damage hard parts. And, I believe the Traxxion one is smoother on the bottom. Making it perform better. Again, from pictures only, now first hand knowledge here.

·
Registered
1 Posts

• costs
I recently installed the belly pan from traxxion. Costs more but was a studier plate and easy install. I also have Max's upgraded suspension

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I don’t have any first hand knowledge of engine protection on the new wings. Just reading. That being said, I’d think that anything strong enough to damage an engine case with that beefy plate installed would most likely have destroyed the engine anyway. Speculative I know, but the other one is so flimsy that the same impact would surely damage hard parts. And, I believe the Traxxion one is smoother on the bottom. Making it perform better. Again, from pictures only, now first hand knowledge here.
Made sense to me.
Agree, I think in that scenario, both options will fail.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with wingstuff belly pan.i like where it mounts better and if you hit something hard enough to tear it up you have bigger problems! That's my thought pattern...
Please cast your vote. Thanks/

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was waiting until the first oil change before putting the Traxxion belly pan on. well changed oil and haven't got around to putting pan on. Honestly removing those plastic covers with the plastic clips and hooks scares me more then anything else. So it's sitting on my work bench still in the box next to the helibar handlebar relocator bracket which is still in the box for the same reason. maybe if I ever get a day off from work I can tackle that

·
Premium Member
729 Posts

• costs
There are two trains of though here. a belly pan may help prevent damage if you hit a rock or something however there is also a greater risk of fire due to the fuel drain hose being improperly routed or pan full of grass and debris. Personally I would not do the belly pan as I see way too many goldwing on the insurance sites all burned to a crisp. I had one goldwing that ended up with a hole in the block but the fix was easy and cost free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts