Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't posted lately, I am an A/C repair guy, and have been working very long hours. The peak of the A/C season is coming to an end for the year here in Phoenix, AZ, so I will have more time, which is good because riding season is just beginning.

Most of the time I wasn't working I was either asleep, or working on my Goldwing, a 1985 LTD with a zillion problems. Virtually everything about it needed repairs/replacement. I was unable to save the stereo, cruise control, on board air compressor/suspension self leveling system, or trip computer, things that I really didn't want or need anyway. All these parts were given to members of various forums who asked for them.

My problems started with the fuel injection, the reed valves that control idle and low speed operation were completely rotted away, and no more were available. I wound up having to design and build my own. I also replaced every single rubber part/hose in the fuel injection system. I had to do a lot of improvising, because parts were no longer available.

So I got the engine running great, and thought the hard part was over. Wrong. I pulled the rear end apart to do some maintenance, and the right side bearing just fell out of the wheel. Apparently mine was one of the original defective rear wheels that never got replaced under warranty. I finally located a good '86 wheel and driven flange.

The charging system is still causing problems, but the bike is ridable. The stator is working fine, and charging fine, but the regulator is running so hot it actually set the bike (wires) on fire once. I removed all the plastic connectors, and soldered all the wires together, but that didn't stop the overheating problem. I finally did some more improvising, and installed a 4 amp blower fan under the fake tank, with a duct to the regulator. All that air blowing over it has definitely cooled it down, but there is obviously still a problem. I have a feeling a poorboy kit, or something similar, is in my future.

I replaced the leaking rear air shocks with Progressive non air shocks, found a nearly new condition seat and backrest on eBay, and replaced the windshield with a new one. I've also done all the maintenance, including the belts.

I went for am 800 mile ride up into the mountains and back last weekend, and everything worked perfectly, with no problems at all, it ran like a new bike. I still have a few minor details to take care of, but I think the hard part is behind me. The charging system is the biggest problem I am still facing, and at least there is a practical solution for that.

I am looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this bike over the next few months, before it gets hot again. Bob.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
well welcome back

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Sounds like you had your hands full, but also sounds like you have everything under control. You must be proud of what you have accomplished. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hey big-bob, welcome back and keep up the good work on the wing

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Time to kick back and enjoy all the money you made LOL Welcome back

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Bob: I'll be out in Phoenix around the last of May or early April next year. Care to ride up to Sedona, Prescott/ Skull Valley and Tortilla Flats ? Always looking for company but I have gone it alone before.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Good for you Bob, glad you had some time on the bike & also time for the forum. Us HVAC guys do have our hnds full some times don't we?

Enjoy & Ride Safe.

PM Sent

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome back Bob....now get back on that bike.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad to see you're back big-bob, and really impressed with your handiwork. Now enjoy the fruits of your labours.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts