Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a discussion (plea for help from those more experienced) in the Introductions forum. Thanks for all the warm welcomes. The reason I joined is that I could use some advise. The New Members forum didn't seem to be the proper place so I'm restarting the discussion here:

Motorcycles were my primary means of transportation until I became a dad. Now that the kids are grown, my wife and I would like to start riding again. The most common advise I got in the introductions forum was to go for a GL1500 rather than the GL1200's that I was looking at. There is a rather severe jump in price between '87 and '88. Now I understand why. Just when I thought the GL1500's were out of my price range, I found this:

http://merced.craigslist.org/mcy/3346745551.html

I spent some time on the phone with the seller. For reasons I won't go into here, I trust the man. Unless something goes wrong, it's the bike I'm going with. I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow. There's a lot to do on this bike but, for the price, it's a good opportunity to go with a GL1500.

The problem of losing power after about 60 miles sounds to me like it's most likely a fuel supply problem. I've also encountered a similar loss of power in engines from that era because of electronic ignition modules. If it's a fuel supply problem then he probably already fixed it by cleaning out the tank and pump screen. I'd like to be ready for either possibility. Are fuel pumps and/or ignition modules easy fixes?

I'll also be replacing the mirrors, side bars, rear compartment doors, CB Antenna and headlight lens. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good source on any of that?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
Jon,

There are a few things as you say. Another would be to change the fuel filter. Also you can run some SeaFoam throught the system to clean things up. That stuff works great.

If all that fails & the issue feels like you're losing a cylinder coupled with very poor fuel mileage then look to the Vacuum Pilot Assy. I had one go out on my 95 while in Nevada in 2010.

Good luck on your project & welcome again to the site.

Best sources for used parts are Ebay & here is a site that may help.

http://www.usedgoldwingparts.com/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fossil. I've already found the mirrors and engine bars on Ebay. My main concern now is the headlight cover. After that, just a lot of rubbing and buffing. I've buffed a lot of oxidized paint before but I've never worked on faded plastic. I've been told that there are some impressive products available for that.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
so what happen to the bike that it is in the condition its in cause it looks like the bike fell hard on the right side to bend an engine guard

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Looks doable to me. Like detdr says wonder what caused that bend?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at that picture more than any other. I don't know what caused it but the head pan looks totally undamaged and there's no damage to any of the bike's panels. I think I'll be okay just replacing the bar.

I'm heading to Uhaul to get the trailer now. Unless something goes wrong, I'll be driving over Donner summit with the bike tonight.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I looked at that picture more than any other. I don't know what caused it but the head pan looks totally undamaged and there's no damage to any of the bike's panels. I think I'll be okay just replacing the bar.

I'm heading to Uhaul to get the trailer now. Unless something goes wrong, I'll be driving over Donner summit with the bike tonight.
God speed. Bring her home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's home and it's mine.

Monday: Got as far as Cisco Grove and the highway shut down. I was stuck in the exact same spot for over 4 hours. Turned around and got home after midnight.

Tuesday: Head out first thing in the morning. Traffic is stopped completely at Verdi. Turn around and go back to work. Head out at 11am - Got over Donner Summit with a small 90 minute delay. Got to Merced and made the deal. No surprises. Got home at 8:00

I've got way too much time invested in this thing so far. I've got insurance and a moving permit good for 30 days. The mirrors, crash bars and headlight are on Ebay. I just may get a good bike out of all this trouble.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spent the last two hours running errands around town on this thing. It felt good to be riding again but I noticed a few things.

This bike feels "swervy". Not real bad. Going 35 mph straight feels like the rear tire is a little mushy but the tire is fine. I put it on the stand and checked for side to side play in the swingarm but it's fine. Maybe it's just me. I went from a 600cc dual sport to a GL1500 with a 25 year gap.

The idle is a little slow and kind of rough. I'm suspecting that the 4,500 elevation difference may contribute to this.

Oh, one more thing... Cassette Deck? Really? Is there an aftermarket alternative?

Any suggestions for where to start on these things?

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Start at the beginning!
Just kidding. I would run some Seafoam through it, might help with the idle. What type of tire and what's it aired up to?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bike's back in my storage shed. I'll be back at it tomorrow. In the mean time...

I found in the manual that there's an adjustment for idle speed. It's supposed to be 800rpm +/- 80. Mine is under 500. I opened the gas cap access to do just that and found that there's no idle screw but there is a vacuum line with a T connector that has an unused nipple. I put my thumb over the open nipple and gave it a couple of revs. There's a little vacuum but not much. Anyone know what this line is for? I still need to solve the mystery of the missing idle screw.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. Best of luck with your new to you bike. Eric

·
Registered
365 Posts
'88 1500

Nice find, it looks just like mine!..Minus the broken headlight n bent crash bar:D:)
About your idle; There is a know issue with the'88~'90 wings that show up as a "stumble" or hesitation just off idle. I've read some guys have chased this problem & going through the carbs several times with no luck.
There is an aftermarket "trigger wheel" you can get from Wingstuff..last I saw it was $35. It advances the timing by 4 deg. Using Seafoam is a great idea also as mentioned....use as directed.

I would also say change the timing belts, unless you know for sure how long ago they were changed. If not 129K + is really pushing it.
The belts are easy to do..and since your in there already..try the timing wheel too!:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good call on that timing belt. I'm not familiar with the GL1500 engine but, if it's like many others, losing a timing belt can mean bent valves and damaged pistons.

I saw something about that Trigger Wheel. Most of the engine building that I've done has been for off-roading. I rarely put a small block chevy together without a 4 degree advance cam. it's great for torque but takes something off the top end. That would probably be very good for my style of riding.

·
Registered
365 Posts
'88?

Both things are easy to do, if you don't have a factory manual..or one of the others...try to get one.
Yes..you are correct, the engine is an interference type..if the timing goes out..bad things happen..expensive bad things!:eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts