Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
I read that article too. It (DS) works for some people, for others it doesn't & that works for me.

The rhetoric is tiring for an Ole Fossil.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
As Galileo mumbled after he was perforce to state at the Inquisition that the Sun moved around a stationary Earth, " Yet, it still moves . "

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I read that article too. It (DS) works for some people, for others it doesn't & that works for me.

The rhetoric is tiring for an Ole Fossil.:rolleyes:
+1 on that if it is not fot U do not do it but for the ones it works for it is the safest thing going.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
gizmo97- we are not that far apart you in Nj. and I in Pa. maybe some time if you every thought to go to the darkside we could get together and you could take a look or a ride ? just a friendly offer. I myself did 3 years of reading before I did my switch to a car tire and after around 400K on bikes and mt tires I know what works great for me, yes others it will not.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Dan, what tire have you got on your bike?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

See sig pic............

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
The article was a nice read.......I do like having 13K miles on mine with tread to spare.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Dude you've been riding yours. Mine has 8k and no obvious signs of wear yet.
I have places to go;)........Usually Work though:(

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Dunlop Wintersport run flat. :)
What size did you go with?
The only ones I have found are shorter and I don't want to decrease my, already low, fuel mileage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It appears that the main gain of riding darkside is tire longevity. Definitely a motorcycle tire has a better grip when banked. The rubber is softer and it gets hotter thus better adherence to the road. Car tire is especially not good for two up in the twistys.
A good article on this subject could be viewed at:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse...rk-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/
While longevity is indeed an advantage, and maybe the most popular advantage of a CT over a MT it is not the only one and maybe not the most important one. Others, to name a few, are: Higher weight limits - very important when 2-up and the added torque of pulling a trailer; better traction in the rain, more economical, and more time riding instead of changing tires so often, the rear rarely needs balancing when using a CT on the rear. Also if you watch the videos, there is just as much tread on the road in the twisties with the car tire.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Having done a number of expermints with mc and ct we found that you have MORE rubber on the ground with a car tire than mc. Testing was done on a flat lot with chalk dust spread over it. Width on track was wider with car tire. Plus I like 7 inches touching the ground when I am caught in rain rather than less than 1 inch!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
What size did you go with?
The only ones I have found are shorter and I don't want to decrease my, already low, fuel mileage.
175/60/R16
Yes, mine is shorter than stock by about 1/2". My fuel mileage before the Tow Pac was 35-36. Now it is 32-34.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.