Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! First time poster and haven't even lurked here. This looked like the spot for my question. Shout at me if I'm cramping the flow.

This summer I became the PROUD owner of a '75 GL1000, which happened to be my first dream bike. Started paying a little attention to bikes in middle school when I got my first bike, a '75 Kawasaki G5 100cc. The GL1000 was, to me, like the pinnacle of motorcycle excellence. In college I got to ride two-up with a buddy who had an 1100, and was hooked, but never had the disposable resources to own one. Fast forward a long time to this summer, and a fella at my church told me he had one, didn't run, under a tarp, for $300 if I wanted it. Uh, Yeah!

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Anyhow, it's kind of a slow go as a project, but it does run and ride again.

I've finally got new tires and am planning to swap them out myself, but I'm concerned about the lack of info I can find about the wheels. I understand they're Lester wheels (18" front & 16" rear) and I'm thinking it would be prudent to replace the wheel bearings at the same time.

Can anybody tell me anything about what those rims might require in the way of bearings and seals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We have several members that are familiar with the early Wings. Hopefully they will see this thread soon.

Reactions: BentFX

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,506 Posts
Beautiful wing, your a lucky guy.👍

Reactions: BentFX

·
Administrator
15,515 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question on the wheel bearings, but I can say welcome to you from Mississippi. Good luck on your project and it looks like a great bike. Good on you keeping an old classic on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There may be a number stamped on the bearings. If there is a number, you should be able to search for it. Of course being that old it may have been discontinued.
Thanks bcihil,

My first thought was that I could pull it all apart and go off of measurements, but yeah, if they've got some kind of identifying marks that's probably a good route for figuring out what they are. My guess is that a "kit" isn't available but they should be something was was at least standard, back in the day.

I'm just hoping to identify the worms, before I open the can. It's got a little drag at one point when the wheel rotates. I don't know, but I think it's the speedometer cable or gear hub.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted. XD

Skip

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is your location? We have a local bearing company in SE WI, Bearings, Inc., that will match up just about any bearing. See if there is a local business that can do that for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your location? We have a local bearing company in SE WI, Bearings, Inc., that will match up just about any bearing. See if there is a local business that can do that for you.
I'm in Spokane, WA. Our local place is Brown Bearings. They've been here since the '50s at least. I don't know, they might be mainly wholesale stuff but at least they can probably steer me in the proper direction. I just got the second tire delivered today after a three day delay and hope to get things disassembled before the weekend. I have no doubt that a proper bearing place can match what's in there, I'm just stressing about it... cause that's one of the few things I do well. :D

·
Super Moderator
12,401 Posts
If Brown can't find it, it wasn't made.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The bearings should be standard bearings identifiable by the trade numbers or dimensions. For the seals the numbers on them refer to their metric dimensions eg. OD- ID - W , in MM. These seals are to keep water and dirt out not grease in. The seal on the bearing contains the lube

Check Bikeparts.com or BikeBandit.com for replacement. Aftermarket parts are probably what you find for a 75, my 80 was getting harder to find OEM for a lot of things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts