Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All....
Here is my Beach Cruiser!
Living here on the coast I love to take lazy rides down the beach. Nothing like riding a few miles and stopping to enjoy lunch on the water!
Had a boat prior to the bike and just can't tell you how much more I love the bike more, not to mention the fuel cost is Great! Spending a day on the bike is a drop in the bucket compared to a day on the water.
Speaking of bucket.....One item on my bucket list is to take a few weeks off and take a ride down "Old Route 66."
Grandparents would take us for vacations down 66 in the sixties....I want to take a ride down memory-lane.
From my research I know that some of the road is impassable and I'll have too detour off of it but a lot is still open. Has anyone got any feed back on this ride? How much time should I allocate for the trip? I'm thinking three weeks, from Pensacola up to 66 in Missouri and head west from there! Return home from California on I-10 back to Fla...
Any input would be great! I'm also thinking late spring or early fall to beat the heat.
Live Long...Ride Long and Be Safe!

BamaBeachBoy:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have been exploring the possibility of taking this trip

http://www.historic66.com/

Check out this site and google or wiki for lots of other info. I even saw where you can rent a bike in Chicago and ride to LA as kind of a guided tour. Anyway. I'm always dreaming of these fantasy trips that màybe one day I can check off my bucket list. I just got my first wing - 2001 blue beauty (it was a "beast" for a while but I have gotten used to it)!

Well, have fun no matter where you ride. Maybe we can connect this one day. I plan on a ride to your beach next spring.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hello bamabeachboy and 1stwing, welcome to GWOF. nice looking beach bike bama

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Hello and Welcome BBB....I'm interested which part of Bama that you call home....Gulf Shores??

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Welcome to the forum.......nice looking wing you got there !!

Ride Safe Always!!!

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
Have done sections of 66 in every state that it runs. Always interesting, does just "disappear" at times but that makes it challenging. Lots of the smaller towns play up the 66 connection & even a few major cities promote it as well.

Some of our favorite areas of the mother road were Galena Ks, Tucumcari & Gallup NM & Kingman/Oatman Az. Needles Ca was a nice stop & even Albuquerque (for a major city) has a nice section of 66.

We had fun just cruising an area to find the road just stop, turn around, go back & pick it up elsewhere.

If you really want an adventure than you can explore the different eras as well. For instance prior to 1938 66 used to run into Santa Fe Nm.

The website that 1stwing posted is an excellent one. Good Luck with your plans.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum BBB. I see you got the fast color. I still have my boat but it doesn't get as much use as the Wing does. Good luck with your trip plans.

·
Premium Member
24,529 Posts
Welcome to the site. I've only been on a small section of 66 in AZ and it was in the early 80's. Hope you have a great run and post a journey log and pics for us when you do go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.