·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you live in TX or any of the surrounding states
please take care in this unreal heat we are having

current temps posted on Intellicast for our area of TX
several in the range from 107-117
yes.... I said ONE HUNDRED SEVENTEEN degrees F.

I have been doing what needs done outside before 10am then staying inside

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rectangle Organism Font Red Pattern

this was the temps at 5:36pm on 07/18/22

• Wow
Reactions: Two Wheel Wing

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is proving to be a repeat of 2011...
drought........ unreal heat day after day........ everything is catching fire........ hay is so expensive, and last year was dry so not many people had a stockpile, so ranchers are selling off their herds

in 2011 you had to pay to get rid of a horse..... at auction the were bringing less than $10 and it cost 20 to put them in the sale

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Organism Font Line Rectangle Red

How about today's temps.....07/19/22.... again
be careful out there.... this kind of heat can kill in a hury
Just up the road about 20 miles they are fighting a fire that has already burned over 4k acres in this heat

Reactions: Maui

·
Administrator
15,968 Posts
It's possible I have some co-workers on that wildfire. My engine is out in Texas now and we are about to send a dozer operator or two to help. I hope to be available to come help early next week.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's possible I have some co-workers on that wildfire. My engine is out in Texas now and we are about to send a dozer operator or two to help. I hope to be available to come help early next week.
there are 2 big ones

one is on Possum Kingdom Lake and the other is Chalk Mountain

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do building roofs hold up at that temp?
It definitely takes a little different approach to roofing in the southwest than it does up north

main thing in this heat..... stay the hell off the roof....... it is all but flowable hot.... you will leave foot prints in it
so in one respect..... with this heat.... .the roofs are almost self healing.... they all melt together
you HAVE to go with the heaviest stuff you can get with as much asphalt as possible

Have done my fair share of shingle roofs putting myself through college and helping out elderly people after storms and they not get enough insurance to pay for big time roofers
you get on the roof in the dark and get off it by noon if working in the summer..... but they will most definitely seal together.... wind will not separate the shingles
BUT you HAVE to use nails..... staples will melt through

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the heat. I went thru death valley two weeks ago. 113 at 11am. I have to admit that was a little warm. :). Oh ya, gas is $9.45 gallon at Furnace Creek.
they have to compensate for evaporation.... they only get to sell half of it

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
today within 20 miles of my house.... the high was higher than today's high in Death Valley

• Wow
Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Administrator
15,968 Posts
there are 2 big ones one is on Possum Kingdom Lake and the other is Chalk Mountain
My engine and crew are on the fire by Possum Kingdom Lake. My son joined a US Fish & Wildlife Service engine crew yesterday in Abilene. My bet would have them on the Chalk Mountain Fire late yesterday, but I haven't heard from them. A good friend is the engine boss on that unit and he requested my son to help and work on his engine boss task book. I'll be checking if I can be of help starting this weekend.

·
862 Posts
My engine and crew are on the fire by Possum Kingdom Lake. My son joined a US Fish & Wildlife Service engine crew yesterday in Abilene. My bet would have them on the Chalk Mountain Fire late yesterday, but I haven't heard from them. A good friend is the engine boss on that unit and he requested my son to help and work on his engine boss task book. I'll be checking if I can be of help starting this weekend.
As a retired firefighter (structure) I would like to thank all of you for your service. I know first hand how thankless it can be.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t know the terrain around PK Lake
But I do Chalk Mountain
Pretty rough rocky hills with TONS of cedar trees (juniper) they burn like diesel fuel and lift lots of ash and embers
A video posted on DFW channel 5 showed fire starting 30 yards on front of the fire line and jet super tanker dropping fire retardant

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when it is this hot it just "hurts"
literally "hurts"

looking out as for as they show, looks like it is nothing but 100+ day after day for us

looks like for the month of August, if it keeps it up...... will be driving to school instead of riding

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can look at the dates of the earlier posts..... and here we still are

and I know there is a huge part of the country dealing with this....... be safe and stay healthy

• Sad
Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 20 of 33 Posts