Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went out looking at acouple different places today, and might have bought one. I went to a small Mom and Pop Shop about a half hour away. They are called Vern's Bikes & Trikes. When they opened up, they specialized in making trikes out of wrecked Goldwings. Now they sell trikes, goldwings, and lots of goldwing apparell, parts.......Anyways, I went there today to look at a 1982 1100GL, but it had been sold. BUT.....they had a spotless 85 Aspencade that they had taken in on trade. I am talking this thing looked awesome! But the battery was dead, and we didnt have much time, so, I didnt get to hear it run today. they are going to pull it in the shop, and go over it, and get it running, and then I will go in and test drive it. They were asking $2585, and I got them down to $2400. I know I shouldnt get my hopes up, but if it runs half as good as it looks, I will be the proud new owner of my very first Goldwing. I took pics on my phone, but cant figure out how to get them on here. The website is www.vernsbikesandtrikes.com if you want to check them out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey big daddy, went to there site didnt see bike, what kind of miles on it? i got a 86 aspen with 27,000 on it. been threw the bike and love it. not bad price range i gave 2600.00 for mine. good luck with test drive. i'd ask if they know when timing belts were changed. check your fluids for brakes and clutch.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not on their site, not sure why. Its got 50,000 on it. Sounds like they dont know a whope lot about it. The owner of the store was gone today, so I plan on talking to him more about it. I will have alot to learn on these things.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the bike has the OEM stator I would stay away from it. The stator will go out and about 50,00o miles is when it happens, if not sooner, Then it's about $1,000 to replace it. Check the plug by the battery and see if it look burnt. The battery might be dead due to a bad stator. Check the charging system with a volt meter if your serious about buying the bike. I had one just like it, same color and everything and it is a beautiful, the stator went out a few days before I bought my new 92 Wing and I had to have it replaced at a cost of over $1,000

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The poor boy kit alternator is a much cheaper option and a permanent fix to the stator problem. It is worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the bike has the OEM stator I would stay away from it. The stator will go out and about 50,00o miles is when it happens, if not sooner, Then it's about $1,000 to replace it. Check the plug by the battery and see if it look burnt. The battery might be dead due to a bad stator. Check the charging system with a volt meter if your serious about buying the bike. I had one just like it, same color and everything and it is a beautiful, the stator went out a few days before I bought my new 92 Wing and I had to have it replaced at a cost of over $1,000
Thanks for the info. We actually did check the plug by the battery, and it is not there anymore. The tech guy showed me 3 wires that he said someone must have wired in to bypass the plug. Does this make any sence?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the info. We actually did check the plug by the battery, and it is not there anymore. The tech guy showed me 3 wires that he said someone must have wired in to bypass the plug. Does this make any sence?
Sure does. Look at the wiring, do they appear burnt?? :eek: If not, maybe the previous owner removed the plug to prevent the wiring from shorting out the stator.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Very common fix for most 1200 GoldWings. I dont totally understand the tech. stuff behind it but know that heat is a huge factor for stator failure due to wiring not being able to handle the load.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
check the plug going to the rectifier too

·
Registered
455 Posts
Very common fix for most 1200 GoldWings. I dont totally understand the tech. stuff behind it but know that heat is a huge factor for stator failure due to wiring not being able to handle the load.
Moisture creates Corrosion which equals Heat.
Results, burnt and melted wiring plus damage to various parts along the circuit, including the stator. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts