Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every year or two at most i need a new battery for my 1800 wing .has any one put a car battery in a goldwing (saddlebag)or one in each saddlebag thanks canada wing nut

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Do you use a battery tender? You could also use an AGM battery, they last 2-3 times longer.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Also if you are using some sort of Battery maintainence device, ie: Tender ,Tender Jr. Accumate. Check the out put voltage in the static mod, no battery attached. A friend found his was putting out almost 17 volts. Way to high, he was going through batterys pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
This topic also makes me wonder how long a battery is supposed to last. I have had my Wing for 2 years now with no battery problem(this is the battery that was on the bike when I bought it). I do not use a tender.
Should I go ahead and get a battery and plan for the inevitable??????

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
The standard lead-acid battery generally lasts 2-3 years, without a tender. I have yet to use a tender and have had good luck with Deka batteries

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't know what kind of battery you are using but mine is the stock yusua (spelling?). It has about 65K on it and is 5 years old. From what I read 5 to 6 years is about average for this battery.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Efinref, check with your local NAPA store also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
anyone put a LiPo in their Wing? I have one in my CRF450x Dual Sport and it is AWESOME! Weighs next to nothing and has oodles of cranking power.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The bikes engine computer and clock are always drawing some power. It is minor, but if the bike sits it will discharge the battery over time. Then you start your bike with a low battery and it does more damage. Does your bike sit all winter in an unheated garage? I would pull the battery out of the bike and bring in inside where the temps are above freezing. Give it a boost charge every month if you do not put it on a tender. If you have a heated garage, then just leave it in the bike but on a tender.

I have been using a Deltran battery tender on all my bikes, and always get 5-6 years out of a battery. My ST 1300 will sit for months and is on a tender. I got 7 years out of that battery. I am a firm believer in Deltran battery tenders if the bike sits for more than a few days at a time.

They work for me!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
every year or two at most i need a new battery for my 1800 wing .has any one put a car battery in a goldwing (saddlebag)or one in each saddlebag thanks canada wing nut
Mine lasted about 5 years (I bought the bike new). I'll go out on a limb here, knowing where you are from, because I know you can't slap me LOL - just ride it year round!:)

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
What model Wing are you rinding CWN? In all likelihood the charging system won't handle a car battery (let alone 2), especially on a 1200 or 1500. I know guys with 1500s that had a gizzilion lights (for parades and such) had extra batteries shoehorned into the rh saddlebag, but don't think any of them were car ones. I've never taken the battery out of any of my bikes, sometimes undid the neg cable tho. Always put them on a tender or Optimate periodically in the off season too. My 1200 and 1500 spent the winters under a tarp outside :eek: (just like my ATV' did) and never had an issue. Full charge at bed time is the secret IMO. My next battery is going to be a gel unit, just like I put in my RC51.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Why not pull a small trailer with two 100lb diesel tractor batteries. They will work for a long time, even without being charged!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
One of the things I would be concerned about is the reason you are going through so many batteries. Like I said, mine lasted 5 years. Isn't yours a bit premature?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
1st battery lasted 4 years 2nd battery lasted 3 years they are taken out of the bike and put on a tender for the winter the last 3 batterys only a year or so but car batterys last for 10 or more yeari was thinking of putting a battery in each saddle bag .
Are you buying your batteries at Walmart or somewhere .... essentially lawnmower type batteries .... just curious. My gel battery is over 5 yrs.old

·
Registered
183 Posts
when I bought my 82 1100 it had a car battery in the left side bag, the stator checked out so i wasn't worried. after a couple of good rides. i was noticing that it was way easier to drag the boards to the left. so i went and got a wallyworld battery 65 bucks lasted 4 years. no maintainer sitting disconnected in my shop for the winter. I would like to have a sealed battery cause i do have to add water from time to time. but i didn't like the offset of thye car battery or added weight, as i ride two up loaded most of the time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Been running AGM batteries in the Wing and the 2 Atv's for a while now.It is 50 cca more than the compareable lead/acid for the Wing.Seems like it cranks the Wing twice as fast and way longer if need be.Will never go back to a lead/acid battery ever.We use the atv's all winter and the cold doesn't even slow them down.And we get some pretty cold temps.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I'd be interested in know how well the LiPO batteries do on a Wing. I've read about the batteries but nothing in relation to them being installed on a Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.