Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new GoldWing last May. Had a lot fun riding all season and parked it inside in late October. Ran it every other week for a bit and:( there was no trouble starting it.
I last ran it in the first week of January no problems. I recently came back and wanted to start the bike on March 3, there was nothing left in the battery no action whatsoever.
I had not disconnected the battery and there was no trickle charge on it.
I have tried to charge this battery 3 different way's from Sunday however, there is absolutely no action when I try to start the bike.
The kill switch is in the correct position. What am I doing wrong? What did I do wrong, any suggestions? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Blown Fuse?
Battery may not have sufficient amps? Load Tested?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have lights ?
Did you put a volt meter across the battery ?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
1. You don't tell us how old your "new" Wing is:confused:
2. You should never start a bike to run for a short time during non-riding periods. It is not "good" for the engine nor for the battery! Not very much charge, if any going into a battery with the engine idling. Remember, all the lights come on w/the engine running!
3. You should plug it into a battery maintainer, not a charger, nor a trickle charger.
As a start(no pun intended) for your current situation, I would take that battery somewhere a load test can be performed.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is a 2010 model that I bought new in May of 2011
Thanks for the help so far, I will have the battery loadtested.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The bike is a 2010 model that I bought new in May of 2011
Thanks for the help so far, I will have the battery loadtested.
Thanks for the info.
2010's were built early in 2009. So it's nearly at least 3 years old now. Without the aid of a maintainer, I bet it has died!
I used to tout the life could be a long, long time with the constant use of a Battery Tender.
However, I recently checked their web sight to give info to a friend and found they recommend battery replacement every 5yrs even using their product:eek:

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
1. You don't tell us how old your "new" Wing is:confused:
2. You should never start a bike to run for a short time during non-riding periods. It is not "good" for the engine nor for the battery! Not very much charge, if any going into a battery with the engine idling. Remember, all the lights come on w/the engine running!
3. You should plug it into a battery maintainer, not a charger, nor a trickle charger.
As a start(no pun intended) for your current situation, I would take that battery somewhere a load test can be performed.
Good advice on the not starting the bike once you've put it to bed. It really doesn't do much to charge the battery. And unless you let it run a long time to, condensations builds up in the engine and exhaust (not good).
I keep mine on a Battery tender most of the time except when put the tender on my riding mower for a few days. Every once in a while, I'll put kill switch to kill and turn the engine over a few time just keep thing oiled.
:rolleyes:Don't forget to put the switch back in the run position.:eek:

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
If you have tried all those suggestions then you did nothing wrong, Ya probably just have a bad battery. Not uncommon. I agree with Ron though, get a batter tender and leave it plugged in. Good luck.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Here's the ticket:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
With all the electronics on the Wing, you have to keep the battery in good shape. I have a battery tender on mine all the time it's parked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
However, I recently checked their web sight to give info to a friend and found they recommend battery replacement every 5yrs even using their product:eek:
I am a firm believer in battery tenders. Have nine hooked up now in the shop on different things.

They might recommend to replace every five years. But 'ole two guns is only going to replace when it's dead. Might need that $$$ to buy some other pretty for my wing.... :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
My last 1800 did the same thing after 6 months and I took it to the dealer where I bought it, they checked it out and replaced the battery. They said it probably wasnt charged correctly when serviced. The best was they warranteed it all ! :eek:

·
Registered
236 Posts
You also could have a draw on the system..The radio has a memory so it will draw down the battery over time. Specially if is 3 years old . get a tender like thay said .

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had my battery on a tender for one week and still no charge.
Took it to the dealer and received a new one under warranty.
Charged it and the bike started like it was supposed to.
I am glad that there was nothing else wrong it.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My suggestion is to keep a Battery Tender on it if it's parked a few days.
These little Tenders work wonders. We put them on EVERYTHING around the place that has a battery if it's going to sit up a few days or so.
Never have battery troubles. Never !!!
Have them plugged up on generators, zero turn mowers, tractors, Kubota RTV's, Four Wheelers, motorcycles, Jeeps and Trucks etc, etc ......

All of our equipment has the quick plugs on them for easy/ quick hookups. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I agree with two guns. I always have my wing hooked to a battery tender. Bring it home, plug it in. That's the best way and then if weather does not cooperate and you have to let it set for a couple of days you are covered. JMHO>..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts