Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Not sure if I'm being a little bit dense, but does anyone know if you can attach the charger while your riding, or do you need to plug it into the mains.

the reason I'm asking is that I don't know too much about these things and any help would be so appeciated

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
My first response was going to be "yes you can, but you will need about a 100 mile extention cord"....LOL. I'm not quite sure about your question, so I'll explaine as best I know about the battery tenders.

The tender is designed to maintain your battery when your bike is not in use for some period of time. I have mine connected directly to the battery. It has a connection between the battery and the tender which can be disconnected. I plug the battery tender into the wall outlet and then connect the tender to the battery via the connector. When I ride I simply disconnect the connection between the two and tuck the wire under the side cover. When I come home I take the wire out from under the cover and plug it back to the tender.

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but hope it helps...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Two Wheel....I heard that when connecting any type of charger whether regular or a tender you should disconnect the battery from the bike...is that true...?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mark,
Not true. The Battery Tenders are designed to connect to the battery while the battery is connected to you car, bike etc. That said, if for some reason you have a large draw on the battery when not in use, the Tender may not be able to keep the battery topped off. They do not put out a lot of current (amps). Most supply a milliamp trickle type charge.
I have 3 and I leave them connected to my vehicles when I am not driving them. I believe all the BT models top off your battery, then maintain a "float charge". Never had a problem with any vehicle I use them on.
Rob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks Rob.... To this day I have always disconnected my battery from the bike...I think I will try leaving it connected...Again Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Two Wheel....I heard that when connecting any type of charger whether regular or a tender you should disconnect the battery from the bike...is that true...?
Mark,

The first thing I did when I got my new Wing home was connect the wires for the battery tender. Whenever the bike sits in the garage it's hooked to the tender, including all Winter. Since there are so many electronics on the bike, I feel it's best to just leave it connected. As a testimony, my 98 GL1500 had a 7 year old gel/mat battery in it when I traded it in and it started the bike first time every time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
All the goodies around our place have battery tenders. Tractor, zero turn mower, Duramax 1-ton, Kamakazie 1200, 4-wheeler, and of course the WING. The worst thing that you can do to a battery is let it discharge and start sulfating. Besides it nice to know regardless of how long it sets that it will crank.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the response Two Wheel and Everyone else...Bike will be connected this weekend...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts