Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left battery on tender this winter, the battery was dry last week, bought new battery, battery tender will show charging, unplug and plug back in, and tender will show charged, nothing wrong with tender, have 3 other motorcycles works good on the other bikes; very confusing?????? I prepared the new battery before installing

Thank,

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Are you using a "Battery Tender" brand made for motorcycles, or something else. I've had mine for over 10 years and never had that happen or even had a problem. The tender is designed to only "top off" the battery and maintain it. It should cycle off and on as needed. Is your battery in the bike or on a shelf?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
battery tender 1amp, battery is the bike, when I first plug in, show red, charging will not cut off, however unpug, and plug in, shows green; on my other bike, same tender works correctly, red for about 5 seconds, turns green.???????something has caused the old battery to go dry while in the bike; it was only 2 years old; the tender works on the battery when out of the bike

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bummer battery. We have a failure rate of about 1 out of 5 at the shop on our crated machines (mostly atv's, not so much bikes) on both Honda and Polaris batteries. The batteries aren't fully charged on the Polaris machines, and the Honda batteries are shipped dry, but they still fail sometimes. The problem is mostly caused by the units sitting in cold weather before they're PDI'd

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
You have an interesting problem Tom. I've never heard of a battery tender boiling a battery dry.. Especially if it works fine on other bikes. Strange that it works when the battery is out of the bike. Could the bike be killing the battery? Would need to be some kind of short. Hope you find the problem. I'm sure others will chime in here with some help.. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Me thinks you have a problem on the bike! Not enough "juice" generated by a tender to boil a battery dry!
Just for the sake of making sure-check you ignition switch for being "off".

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I doubt that even a dead short would boil the battery dry, but yes, check your systems for draw when the keys is switched off. Remeber the newer bikes with the gps/navi have a small draw (milli-amps) at all times, causing a drop in voltage of 1% per day roughly. Even a 'no draw' system will loose voltage just from sitting idle, hance the value of a tender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts