Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had a problem with nav not coming up on start. I was told that the NAV is always receiving juice from battery to keep it in a sleep mode. That threshold voltage is around 10.5v....
I put volt meter on my battery and it reads 10v.
hooked it up to my battery tender and left till green light goes on ...Magically I can cold start and get NAV up every morning.
question is ...
Is this battery shot....was it never charged correctly from dealer..can it be charged to 100%....:confused:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
i have had a problem with nav not coming up on start. I was told that the NAV is always receiving juice from battery to keep it in a sleep mode. That threshold voltage is around 10.5v....
hooked it up to my battery tender and left till green light goes on ...Magically I can cold start and get NAV up every morning.
question is ...
Is this battery shot....was it never charged correctly from dealer..can it be charged to 100%....:confused:
Keep it plugged in to the Tender when parked and your battery should be OK for a long time.
Having said that and not knowiing how old it is now, I would suggest getting it load tested. That will tell you if you have "saved" it by using the tender.

·
Banned
74 Posts
question is ...
I do not see you say what YEAR the GW is... Now if its like... say 2 or 3 years old, you bought it new or whatever. It could be the battery is on its way out to door on you. See when a battery get run down or let to run down, someone ran it down to near nothing or right down to nothing. The battery plates build up a sulfate type coating on them that NEVER comes off them ever again. A battery that is run down to nothing will NEVER charge right back up to 100% again. Unless it was run down then right after put on charge within hours of doing so. But if it left to sit at or near a dead state for a number of days or longer...it will never come back up to 100% ever again. Get it load tested is all I can suggest.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My battery is almost 4 years old. I never charge it and I do not have a battery tender.
The bike sits for no more than a week at most and most of the time it gets used every day unless the weather sucks.
I have not had the issue that you described. But having a Navi bike I figured I might as well chime in with my experience.

I have also never had the nav unit cycle it's self on start up like some other have said.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
@ Buzzy yer killin' me here!! I finally moved my bike forward in the garage last night and put the validation tag on the plate.
Tooth, that's why I use the Optimate 3 and the pigtail. The 3 has a refresh mode that cycles the battery down and also desulfates along with the low amp charging. Effectively doubles the life of a battery. Not a bad $50 spent in my books when you consider I have four machines that require seasonal tending.

·
Registered
466 Posts
@ Buzzy yer killin' me here!!
Sorry Buddy, I can't help it. If it's any consolation, While you are enjoying mild summer temps, I will be sweating my arse off with temps in the triple digits and if the scale were higher, humidity would be triple digits as well.
Hey, my bike did sit for over two weeks the beginning of the year, that better?:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts