Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Goldwing. Is there a constant drain on the battery even when the key is off & out??

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Caveman,
Greetings from Florida and welcome to the forum.
Yes, there are things on your Wing that remain on even with the key off.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
All of the electronics (ECM, radio, clock, etc) are all maintained by the battery, so yes there is a drain on it. I use a battery tender plugged into it everytime the bike sits. Keeps the battery topped off and ready to go..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I use a battery tender also, but the drain is very minor, probably take a couple of months before you even notice it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Battery tender here also. Keeps batteries from sulfating due to being in a discharged state. Really extends the life of any battery they are hooked up to.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Call your dealer...they should be able to tell you what the normal off state current draw is for the bike....once you have that number multiply it by 1.5...if the draw on your bike is greater that...you might have an electrical component that is starting to fail....which component...that will be a plug and play type search....try pulling fuses and see if that circuit cause the increase in amps...

Hope this helps...

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
217 Posts
:p I must be the luckiest son-of-a-b???? who has owned a motorcyle....I agree with everyone about a battery tender...but in the 20+ years of riding I have never owned a battery tender and my batteries typically last 6 years...I charge them in the fall...let them sit in my basement during the winter and charge them in the spring...start the bike and ride....:cool:

I could not resist..telling you guys this.....

However...I do have a battery tender on my christmas list....I knew this forum was going to cost me money....;)

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
793 Posts
The drain from the electronics on my 1500 will take about 4-6 months of not running before a no start. Battery tender is not a bad idea, better idea is to keep riding.
I had to replace the batteries in my bikes every other year no matter what until I switched to a certain battery marketed by a certain chain retailer that claims to start in the worst conditions. First motorcycle battery I've had for five years, that's why I bought another one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MarkH,
Like you, I have been lucky in the past with batteries. Just took them out of the toys in the winter, put them in the basement then popped them back in, in the spring and 99% of the time they started the toys right up. That said, I had one bike battery, about 3 years old that in the spring wouldn't crank the bike. Ended up it had sulfated and I could not bring it back to life with a charger. Could have been a bum battery? Anyway, that sold me - got Tenders on all the toys now. No more pulling the batteries when the snow flies and they do last longer - at least for me.
Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellows-

Thanks for your replys. I knew they had a trickle drain, but I bought this G W a few days ago and it strated and ran fine several times & even went for a 100 mile ride. Two days later the battery was so dead the radio or anything else would not work. It did take a charge and read full charge. Let it sit over night and was still full charged. I installed it again this morning and will see what happens. I have always used the small solor panels to keep my other toys and both boat batterys at full charge, and they also work great. They use no elect. and do not need to be near an elect. outlet or in direct sun light to work, $18 bucks a piece too. Thanks again -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts