Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't ride here much for long periods. What kind of charger shoudl I use...2008 Wing with Airbag (if that matters). Also does it need to charge all the time or for a short period once a week? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Get the Battery Tender, connect it to the battery, plug into a electrical socket and forget it. Bike starts right up in the spring. Worth every penny of your investment..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ditto on what's mentioned above. The best units are meant to be left hooked up, and only put out voltage as required and in very low amperage trickles.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Get the Battery Tender, connect it to the battery, plug into a electrical socket and forget it. Bike starts right up in the spring. Worth every penny of your investment..Ditto on what's mentioned above. The best units are meant to be left hooked up, and only put out voltage as required and in very low amperage trickles.
+ 1 I agree

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question. I have a 2008 Wing. I purchased a Battery Tender Jr. and then hard wired the removable end with the ring ends on to the battery, routed it under the seat and then into the little compartment on the back left. I then connected it to the battery tender and plugged it in. It charged the battery up great, and then it went to maintainer mode. All was great for about three weeks. Then I started noticing a decidedly "electrical" smell in the garage. Not like something was burning, but that smell of like new electronics or the rubber insulation on wire. I would get down and smell around the covers on the bike, nothing. I felt the wires, and they weren't hot, not even warm. I unplugged it and after a few days, the smell went away. Anyone have any similar experiences? What was the smell coming from?

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
First of all, carp6318, welcome to the forum. The smell was probably just the Battery Tender itself. I've had a lot of new electronic devices give off the smell you refer to.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Carp6318, welcome to the forum from Pa. I've had a Battery Tender for about 9 years and never had the problem you experienced. I have mine hard wired also but just have the line connector under the side panel and out the back of that cover. I just connect it there to the Tender and when I ride I just tuck the wire back in the hole. Maybe you pinched something when running it under the seat.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Get yourself a tender from wally world for around 19.00 bucks and use the accessory cable to hard wire it to the bike. For safety sake I wired in an inline fuse and that was lets see, about 7 years ago. Battery is ready to go when I am. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
+2 on the Wally World "Maintainer". I think I paid $15, but it could have been $19. I have one on each of my ATVs, and one on the Wing and have never had a dead battery. I attached the supplied connector directly to the battery lugs and simply tuck the connector behind the side cover when I disconnect it. When I get home, I stick two fingers through the cover opening and retrieve the plug, plug it in and forget it. It only charges the battery if it needs it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all for the welcome and replies. I was careful when routing the wires and zip tied it to the harness under the seat. Towards the back I routed it so it would have no contact with the seat when installed. It works out nicely, open the door on the little compartment below the back speaker and there is the charging cord. When done, roll it up, put it back in the compartment and close the door. I'll plug it back in and keep an eye on it. I was just getting concerned that maybe it was cooking some electrolyte out of the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts