Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... here we go again with, " Help Little Brother" !!!
His wing, '90 SE, has something pulling battery down. He has done replaced the battery twice. Alternator is working fine.
Motorcycle is stock. Everything seems to be turned off, but something else has got to still be on somewhere ....

Has any others had this problem ?
Where should he (we) start looking and checking.

All replies are appreciated much !!!!

....... two guns

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i was having a battery problem on my 1200 wing last year. after letting the bike sit for two days the battery would be sooo weak it wouldn't start without a boost. this went on for about a month and after going for a ride and returning home one afternoon i noticed that when i turned the ignition off the key was not all the way inthe off position but the key came out the switch. i made sure the key was completly in the off position and since doing so i haven had a battery problem

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Take a digital volt meter and set it to amps. Disconnect the battery positive cable and hook the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. You should have less than .3 amps. If amps is high, start pulling fuses until the amps drop. This will narrow down which circuit contains the battery draw. Do this with the ignition switch off to find out what is draining the battery. As mentioned before, make sure when you remove the key it-s not in the acc position.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What is the time span for "2batteries"?
How long does the bike "sit " before the "no starts"?
Note, many "things" possible here for a 22yr old bike.
Start by responding to the above?s. We'll go from there.
I will say what normal draws that exist, even w/the ignition off, should take quite a while to drain a good battery.
I also use a battery tender on mine, all the time.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
There are a lot of electronics and wires that could cause a problem in a 22 year old bike, but one thing I would do, if he has not already done so, is to buy a battery tender and keep the bike plugged in whenever it sits. That will keep the battery from draining while sitting and extend the life of the battery.

Hope you find your drain.. Good luck

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Ditto on the wiring and the tender. Batteries lose an average of 1% per day just sitting idle, that increases with a small draw like the internal clock on a Wing. My guess is there is a short somewhere causing the leakage.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Ditto on all the above, especially the key!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.