Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to a group called--Lone Star Riders--And a member said he was invited over here because we had a good forum[and we do] BUT He said all we did was bash Harleys and other brands!!!He reported this on our web-site....It was not good for us and I cannot believe it anyway...I know we have had some fun but Harley riders do the same thing!!!! It's not what you ride but just so you ride.....Do you agree???

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have been a rider for 30 years most of which was on a Harley! I feel if you are in the wind its all good no matter what you ride!! Funny how people pass judgement based on your ride! Shame on them!! Good group here from my experience! I ride a a wing now and Love it!

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Taco, I couldn't agree with you more. In our trip across the country post we have made some observations related to this. Ask your buddy about some of the things we have seen. The little lady & I were greeted just about everywhere with a wave or acknowledgement of some sort. Believe or not some of the most cordial & engaging people were on BMW's. Now here comes the but,

We noticed that when there were a group of Harley riders of at least 6-10 they acted all bad$^% & wouldn't even nod. I must admit this was when you were either in a town, National Park or some sort of tourist area. Don't ask me why I have no clue I'm just an old guy & his wife riding a Goldwing. This wasn't once Taco this was nearly every time. 2nd observation when we were near Deadwood/Sturgis area (Hallowed ground I imagine) it was even worse. Then you were talking about 2-3 bikes together being :cool:.

Now here's the kicker when there was 1 bike with a couple you would have thought we were old friends.

I have several friends that have Harleys & we have ridden together. I say again I couldn't agree more with you as long as you're riding that's all that matters. As far as Harley bashing on our site, there may be some, but I believe it is just a little good natured ribbing & certainly not to the extent that I've seen elsewhere. I for one will try to refrain to keep our site well received.

Ask your Buddy why I would have experienced what I did & see what he says.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The wife and I just completed a long trip last week on our wing. With wings accounting for almost half of the bikes, imo, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it seems that people who do not ride are more likely to approach a couple on a goldwing opposed to a harley. It may be the attire that you wear or how our ride looks, but you are still stereo typed by how you act and appear. I personally can get along with all but but the most hardcore biker crowd and do have good friends on harleys. Sure we all that ride will poke fun at the other guy and what he rides, but those who do not ride will likely approach someone that is not imtimidating, thus the goldwing rider. Hate to say it but the goldwing rider generally looks more like your average mom/dad or grandparent. The old Honda slogan from the '60's hit's it on the head "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fossil

Absolutely correct!!!!

I've been reading about these discussions on the forum and the different types of groups/numbers etc, today me & three GW buddies where out n about with a air/bike show in a town about hour n half away from our home town, with lots of bikes coming and going i made a point of nodding the helmet or sticking the ol digit up or even full on wave! the only non response that i got all day was groups of Harley's! which i dont have an issue with just interesting to note.............. on the other hand if your re-fuelling or helmet off or parked somewhere and one or two pull up it's 'hey how are you' or 'how goes it' but in a group there's no interaction at all really!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Harleys

Hi Guys

Just had to make a comment, not sure if this is an American thing, but here in England you will always get an acknowledgement be a nod or a hand up not matter what you are riding, it might have something to do with us not actually making the machine, but it does seem stange:confused:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wave at all bikes. I even wave at 9 year olds on bicycles. One on one, the HD rider will acknowledge but in a group :eek:. Just ain't cool I guess.
Strat

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I ride a Harley and have for years, just started riding a wing and love it. I wave at everyone and did so when I was riding my Harley. Some people wave back and some don't. The wind feels the same to me no matter what bike I'm riding. I love all bikes and would have one of each, but the wife would put me outside :(

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Our local group is almost HD exclusive, and it's no big deal with anyone when I show up on my Wing, or when I was on my ST or the Vulcan. I've been on strictly Japanese bikes since we got our little group going 11 years ago, but the only ones that didn't slag something 'else' were myself and a couple others that still had Jap bikes as a second/alternate. Never did get that part of the other guys, as they were the ones that usually had to hitch a lift thanks to a broken Evo or earlier HD (and they always had an excuse for the breakdown). Whatever floats your boat I guess.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
All brands

Personally, I think any bike is a good bike and fun is fun. But if while riding you wave and the wave isnt returned chances are the other bike is a harley. Next, if you see a bike in the back of a truck or on a trailer, its a harley. All my HD buddys went back to Milwaukee for the 03 celebration. Notice i said went, because they trailered their bikes to the area then rode into town. I sure don't get that.

Hillst, here in USA we used to wave almost all the time now Id say its down to around 60 percent are returned.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
I must agree with the "HD group" responses. If there are one or two we'll usually get a response, but any more and forget it! BUT, on a 1500 mile ride a few years back, I was on my CM400 and my brother was on his CX500, we were most usually snubbed by the Goldwing riders!! I am at a loss to explain any of it.

I was talking to an HD rider the other day and he said, "If it has two wheels, that's all that matters".
Which is exactly how I feel.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I think Harley guys can dish it out but can’t take it. We joke some and I never get upset about the “riceburner” or like comments, but say something derogatory about Harley and they get all offended. Riding is riding and I hold no grudge against what a person rides and most times get waves back from all kinds. I personally would love to own a classic Harley but just don’t have the funds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The way I look at it is it's your money and your investment. We all work hard for what we get. Bikes aren't cheap. If you like HD ride a HD if you like a Yamaha , BMW, or many of the other brands it's your money and your choice.

Ive noticed that if there is a larger groups of HD or crotch rockets riding together that they don't wave if you wave at them. Not the case in small group 2 or 3 riders.

I personally like the looks of a HD but I like my GW and will always ride a GW. Most of the guys I work with ride HD's and we give each other crap but bottom line is we all like to ride and do get together and ride.

No matter what you ride we all have one thing in common. We all love to ride our bikes no matter what the brand is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ride a Harley with 103,000 miles on it. It has been a great bike that has never let me down. I am planning to get a Wing in the near future and to be honest get away from the Harley image. More than half of the Harley riders ride for the image and not the miles. Ask them how many miles they have ridden and what year their bike is and many only put a couple thousand miles a year on. For them its the image. For me its miles and the Wing should serve me well and I am lookinjg forward to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Yamaha Vstar looked like a Harley, so I got lots of waves. Plus I dressed like a Harley rider. I guess now with my Goldwing I will get less waves. Oh, well, my left arm won't get as tired!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Attitude??

I rode a Harley for two years before I got my Wing. I wave at every Rider that I pass and it doesn't matter to me what they're riding. While riding my Harley the Riders that didn't wave were riding Harley's!!! Go figure!!!

Still waving - Eagle

·
Registered
71 Posts
:)Yep. I am a waving fool. I am a fairly new motorcycle rider (3 years). I have put roughly 17500 miles on 3 different bikes. I love it! Before I started riding nobody told me that riders wave at each other. I think it is a great tradition. I honestly cannot tell if one group of riders are more or less friendly than others. Most people that ride are friendly. Ride safe!

Bumper sticker - I listen to all the voices inside my wife's head.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I used to get more waves. There is something changing tho. Maybe it is the times. People in general, more intraverted with their owns tho'ts etc. I think some of it is that there are new riders who don't have anyone to explain to them. I used to almost always see the 2 fingers pointed down which means "keep the wheels down on the road" but this year a lot of people on all kinds of bikes waving like they are in a parade.
I think they are new to bikes and they haven't got friends to glue them in.

The HD definitely draws buyers for different reasons. For some, it is the atttitude. Then there are the 1%ers who truly are the criminals and going to only ride HDs. my neighbor bought and HD, rides it maybe 6-8 times a year. Just wanted one. It's ok with me, it is his money and right to own one and let it sit in his garage. He doesn't know anything about helmets or raingear; he has no biker friends and doesn't use the internet.

I think most bikes are well made today. This past spring, I decided it was time for a real cruiser. I looked at the HDs. The attitude, leather, loud pipes, price and cost of bling. I wanted an enjoyable, comfortable ride where we could ride as far on a bike as in a car. It was an easy choice.

·
Registered
835 Posts
:)Yep. I am a waving fool. I am a fairly new motorcycle rider (3 years). I have put roughly 17500 miles on 3 different bikes. I love it! Before I started riding nobody told me that riders wave at each other. I think it is a great tradition. I honestly cannot tell if one group of riders are more or less friendly than others. Most people that ride are friendly. Ride safe!

Bumper sticker - I listen to all the voices inside my wife's head.:eek:
I agree FL. As corny as it may sound, there is a brotherhood regardless of what we ride. We go to rallys, Wingdings and all things specific to our passion. I wave...I like seeing ppl enjoying themselves as much as I do.
Wave on. :)
Strat

·
Registered
402 Posts
My experience here in Southern Nevada is that most bikers acknowledge others with a wave, regardless of what they're riding. I've yet to pass a Wing that did not wave back. I wave to all bikes but every once in a while, a Harley rider just can bring himself to do it... which is ok.

My waves are ignored more by the idiots on their crotch rockets, but probably because their too focussed on endangering fellow motorists by weaving in and out of traffic or doing wheelies at 60 mph. Of those who ride motorcycles, I have the least respect for them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts