Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Time for my first post!

The Goldwings are not really barn finds. They belonged to my father-in-law who passed 8 years ago. Bikes were covered, given treated gas and put in the back of a large garage. His wife was not ready to part with them at that time for emotional reasons. Fast-forward to today, she is ready to sell! One is a red 1989 Goldwing in great shape with only 18,000 miles. The other is a black 1986 1200 that looks good, but condition is unknown.

Wife and I brought the 1989 to our house to clean it up for selling (or maybe keeping...?) I was surprised the brakes, clutch and choke all still moved smoothly. I put a new battery in and it started on the first crank?! It idles very smooth.

My question is this: How much is this Goldwing worth as it sits? Starts, runs smooth, all electrical works, no corriosion. It needs two new tires (tread looks OK, but tires are at least 10 years old.) All fluids changed and I have been recommended to replace the timing belts. Found a shop that will do this, but it will cot around $1500 for everything. How much is a 1989 Goldwing worth in great condition, 18,000 miles and a complete mechanical survey / repairs / changes?

I'll work next on the 1986 once we have the 89 repaired and/or sold.

Appreciate any feedback!
Located just North of Grand Rapids, MI
Excitabletom

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Many of our members replace the timing belts themselves. I am sure some will be along to give you some sage advice.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
131 Posts
Depending on your mechanical skills or patience the belts are not difficult to change, just a bit scary for the first set as you are dealing with a very important item for the engine running correctly. Videos are on you tube and excellent instructions of Gold Wing Docs. To many of us, working on the bike makes it 'your' bike because it is your expertease (?) that makes it run!!

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Welcome to the forum

A 1989 GoldWing, even with low miles, isn't really worth more than about $4,000. It is, after all, a 33 year old machine, that is getting hard to find parts for.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. My first gold wing was and 89 also red. Good luck with the bike. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum and wishing you miles of smiles.😁

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
The value won't change tremendously, but $4,500 wouldn't be out of line.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would be inclined to buy a ‘98 w/18,000 miles on it for 4500, IF all the service had been done. And it was completely ready for the road. Same bike needing the rubber/fluids/maintenance items updated would be much less. But I’m not rich, so that affects my purchasing power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts