Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little background... when I went to demo the 1989 GL1500 trike I ended up buying, I noticed that the bike cut out when going over speed bumps in an apt complex I used to turn around in. I had done my homwework and was 99% sure it was the bank sensor recall problem.

The 150mi ride home was alot of fun as parts of the road were fairly rough or curvy and the bike cut out 10-15 times more. By the 2nd time I had perfected the correct response and because it was a trike, I could toggle the ignition key to reset the bank sensor and jump start the bike as it was moving without becoming a liability to myself or others.

So back home, I'm wondered if my local Honda shop pull through for me on this. I mean, the bike is 22yo and the recall is 16yo. I know these safety recalls never expire, but I didn't buy the bike originally from local shop - something they seem fixated on for service, but I did buy my wife's new Burgman scooter from them in 2009.

They checked my VIN and came thru, ordering the part and will perform the recall when the part arrives.

They also said that if the bike is clean, they'd be willing to perform work on it. As a rule, they don't service bikes more than 10yo unless you bought it from them. I can only surmise that there are so many Goldwings of various years out there and that some of the parts are used on other bikes (like the fuel filter) that they stock parts and can therefore repair them easily enough.

As an aside, my local HD dealer will service any Harley from any year no matter where it was purchased. It was refreshing to have my local Hon/Suz/Yam/Kaw dealer extend that same level of customer service to me. I'm sure that they must know that good service leads to future sales.

BTW, it is nice to own a 21yo bike that has no drips, burns, bad smells, or weird sounds. Gotta love Honda's reliability, especially with that 6cyl motorcycle engine!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Glad you have a dealership that is up front and responsible enough to do the right thing. I know shops that are less than 2 hours frum us that are adamant about the 10 year thing. My take on that is they are too busy fleecing the less than 10 year olds that they do service. This includes a couple HD dealerships, once they have your cheque in their hands they don't know you anymore, and my HD riding buds are quick to lament theat fact. Some shops require a visual of a bike to see what shape it's in before sticking to their guns and well they should. I know lots of 20 year old Wings and other bikes that are no harder to work on than last year's models due to the amount of TLC and respect they've been shown. Blanket statements don't hold true in many cases.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you have a dealership that is up front and responsible enough to do the right thing. I know shops that are less than 2 hours frum us that are adamant about the 10 year thing. My take on that is they are too busy fleecing the less than 10 year olds that they do service. This includes a couple HD dealerships, once they have your cheque in their hands they don't know you anymore, and my HD riding buds are quick to lament theat fact. Some shops require a visual of a bike to see what shape it's in before sticking to their guns and well they should. I know lots of 20 year old Wings and other bikes that are no harder to work on than last year's models due to the amount of TLC and respect they've been shown. Blanket statements don't hold true in many cases.
I know of HD dealerships that should be embarassed while others fall over themselves to serve you; same for metridc dealerships. I'm aqs surprised by you by the cooperative effort my local metric dealer has offered since they are usually not so cooperartive; but I am a customer and bought a new bike from them, so...

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i had my bank angle sensor replaced under warranty last december

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had my bank angle sensor replaced under warranty last december
Well there ya go; it's never too late for a safety recall. I was concerned only that my local Honday shop might balk at doing it, which would force me to travel an hour or mroe away instead of 5 mins. But they agreed to do the work and have the part on order.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do they know it's a trike?
Not yet and they never asked :) Technically speaking, it's not really a trike, since it has 4 wheels on the ground and the original drivetrain, which I guess makes it more of a Honda Goldwing ATV.

The sensor they will replace is easily reachable - trike or not. The other work I might have them do is the same - all towards the front of the bike.

But, like you, i thought that once they saw it, they'd turn me down. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Not yet and they never asked :) Technically speaking, it's not really a trike, since it has 4 wheels on the ground and the original drivetrain, which I guess makes it more of a Honda Goldwing ATV.

The sensor they will replace is easily reachable - trike or not. The other work I might have them do is the same - all towards the front of the bike.

But, like you, i thought that once they saw it, they'd turn me down. We'll see.
Since the recall has nothing to do w/the drive train which has no warranty anyway, they should do the work.
You could take the outrigger off before you take it in!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since the recall has nothing to do w/the drive train which has no warranty anyway, they should do the work.
You could take the outrigger off before you take it in!
Yes, I could - and I will if they balk.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I can only speak from my experience in Florida when I brought the Wing with Voyager to the local Honda dealer for tires, they never had a problem with the Voyager and never told me to remove it prior to bringing it to them. It may depend upon the tech or the service manager how they handle the unit. The local dealer would work on the front half of the Wing and send the back end to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts