Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of i appologise if this was asked before but i could not get an answer to my question, which is
Does anyone have these new wing deflectors or the previous style on their wing and if so, how are they mounted or fixed to the bike. Do they have screws which screw into the bike pannels or are they mounted in a way that if you remove them there is no holes or marks left on the bike, by the way mine is an air bag model and it needs the extra bracket. i have looked at the picture but i cant tell if the brackets are screwed in. Also do they come for both sides, the picture only shows one side. Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
You have to take the molding off (pry it up slowly so you don't break any of the tabs that hold it in place) and drill holes in it to secure the wings. There should be a template with your purchase which shows where to drill the holes. Once the holes are drilled you put the hardware which holds the screws on the back and attach the wings to them. You snap the molding back in place. Worst part is drilling the holes. Make sure they are centered on the molding.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be a template with your purchase which shows where to drill the holes. Once the holes are drilled you put the hardware which holds the screws on the back
Thanks Two Wheel, thats the only problem i have is the drilling into the mouldings, i guess if i want to take them off all i need to do is replace the mouldings. Can you tell me if you have to drill for the extra bracket for the air bag model.

Also do these wings really work that well, i would hate to drill holes into the bike to mount them and find out that they dont really work that well. My main reason is for the summer so as to push the hot air from the radiators away and i guess for the winter as well . ( i realy have to get over this phobea of drilling holes in my bike):eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Down Under from Canada...I won't speak for anyone else, however on my 5th Goldwing and all have had BakerBuilt Airwings installed.

In my opinion, they function as advertised and I wouldn't ride without them. Easily redirect air either onto or away from the rider so they are efficient for both cooling and keeping you warm. The passenger also benifits.

I have installed these myself, and it is not difficult.

Cody777

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Thanks Two Wheel, thats the only problem i have is the drilling into the mouldings, i guess if i want to take them off all i need to do is replace the mouldings. Can you tell me if you have to drill for the extra bracket for the air bag model.

Also do these wings really work that well, i would hate to drill holes into the bike to mount them and find out that they dont really work that well. My main reason is for the summer so as to push the hot air from the radiators away and i guess for the winter as well . ( i realy have to get over this phobea of drilling holes in my bike):eek:
I don't have the airbag model, so I can't speak about the extra bracket. Yes they do work as advertised. Had them on my 98 GL1500 SE and loved them as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wing Down Under

This is the best accessory that I added to my GW..............very easy to install...............

HisST

·
Registered
449 Posts
I resisted buying them because frankly I was concerned with the look.
Heck with that.....I now have those and the hand wings that attach to the bottom of the mirror. I just purchased the leg wings that attach to the crash bar just an hour ago. They do a great job of keeping road heat off your lower leg. You won't be taking them off!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the heads up. I am glad to hear that they work well, like i said before my main concern was to drill holes in the bike and find out later that they dont work that well. Guess all thats left to do now is to place an order.:)

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
I'm with marcsvette on the looks of these wings stuck on the bike, but their utility has my interest. I've had my eye on the " GL1800 Lower Side Fairing Deflectors 7-Colors! " from Wingstuff. But like yourself, I would like to hear opinions from those who have tried them first. Some one on here had a nice saying : " The fool learns from his own mistakes, the wise man from the mistakes of others ". Any fool here have these puppies ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I just had them put on at Americade a week ago. They work as advertised. If you are riding and it gets a little chilly just twist the lowers a bit and you get the warm air from the radiators hitting your leg. If it gets hot out just adjust the wings to let in cooler, moving air. Keeps the heat that radiates from the radiators away from you in hot weather. Good to have. Good People to deal with.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Down Under from Canada...I won't speak for anyone else, however on my 5th Goldwing and all have had BakerBuilt Airwings installed.

In my opinion, they function as advertised and I wouldn't ride without them. Easily redirect air either onto or away from the rider so they are efficient for both cooling and keeping you warm. The passenger also benifits.

I have installed these myself, and it is not difficult.

Cody777
Cody, when you say you have the airwings installed, do you have all three?
I noticed there is the airwing, air wing for hands, and now a lower one for leg protection.
Which of these do you use?
thanks,
G I Feelgood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts