Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used them on my Harley with great results. I then tried them on my GoldWing with not so good results. I now use centramatic balancers and I'm very happy with them. Expensive but the ride is smooth and tire wear is improved.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
I'm a Dyna Beads user. I have had an episode or two when checking the tire pressure that I " believe " a bead got stuck in the valve stem causing the stem core to not close up air tight. I carry an air compressor and gave a short air shot and stopped the hemorrhaging. It's a one in a thousand chance, but it can and does happen. This is my first set of Dyna Beads so I can't compare it to tire wear. My front Bridgestone 709 has 13,000 miles on her and she's wearing smooth and even. I run a car tire on the rear, which tend to wear evenly ( no cupping ) over it's life anyway, and although I have Dyna Beads in them I'm not sure they are making any appreciable difference given the mass and weight of the tire itself. I will continue to use them until I get some Centramatics.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I run the beads and like them on my E'3s

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Not to be the Naysayer.....or to be the Naysayer.:lobby: My tire man says "Centramatic's and Dyna Beads are a waste of money"......"if the tire person has the right equipment to balance tires properly." I guess Dyna Beads are cheaper than driving to North Alabama to put a tire on.:assimilation:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I use the Dyna Beads with good results. I will however give you a hint. If you purchase a new tire and have it mounted, go ahead and let them balance it right then. Then add the beads as insurance. Why? Well, once the beads are in the tire, the spin balancers will NOT balance the tire. The beads will keep shifting and further balance is not possible. Once the tire is initially balanced, the use of the beads insures that as the tire wears and the balance points change, the beads will serve their purpose. :super: Isaac

Reactions: BMills

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
..my riding buddy left his weights on when he added beads ..didn't seem to make any difference ..have yet to ride my bike ..will insure next week after the winter hibernation and let yea know
My point exactly. A tire that is balanced from the git go will stay balanced as tire wear and age takes its toll. That is the goal, to be balanced and stay balanced over the life of the tire. :icon_smile_big: Isaac

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
My local Powersport Honda Dealer " spin " balance the tires. Which means the mechanic grabs the tire by the hand while it is on the spin axle and gets that thing turning. He's lucky to make it to a 25 mph roll. There is no balance machine here like we see at NTW.I suppose it is one step above a bubble balance.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
My local Powersport Honda Dealer " spin " balance the tires. Which means the mechanic grabs the tire by the hand while it is on the spin axle and gets that thing turning. He's lucky to make it to a 25 mph roll. There is no balance machine here like we see at NTW.I suppose it is one step above a bubble balance.
Wow Chop....that is stone age stuff. Sorry about that for sure. Do you have a Cycle Gear Store anywhere near you? If so, they can and do balance. :whack: Isaac

·
Premium Member
16,688 Posts
I put beads in when I had my last set of tires (E-3) put on my 1500 so far, I like them, the only issue is the one where a bead sticks in the stem when checking pressure. I usually just give it a quick shot of air then check the pressure seemed to solve the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Works great here, i like them.

I am thinking since the tires wear or dirt can build up on the rim, the beads will always keep the tire in balance.
Unlike the lead wait witch is put on as the tire is new and clean.
Well that is my thinking anyway, so don't shoot me lol

Now i have to google " centramatics " never herd of it hmmm

Just seen the price ouch !!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Standard balance works for a while. Beads work well but have to be replaced. I went all the way to Centramatics on 3 Wings and couldn't be happier. Saved the cost in extended tire life and never have to balance the tire. Love the improved ride comfort and you never see them.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Could one of you experts explain how each of these balancers work? My tire guy thinks they are a waste of money.
I think they work because most of us who use them believe they do something positive. You can watch promo videos on Dyna - Beads and Centramatics and come away with a positive felling or a skeptical one. For myself and the Dyna-Beads it is a monkey see - monkey do , if truth be told. My dealer also calls them " snake oil " and we laugh together on this, but I still use them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nope no snake oil here. I too watched the videos with a healthy dose of "no way" then I tried them. The cetramatics now have over a combined 100,000 Klicks on them with perfect performance. With both the balancers and MT tires I hope to only have to replace 1 set a season instead of my normal 2. Mind you if spring doesn't come soon this may be a mute point.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
It may be snake oil, but I like the Cetramatics I put on my bike. When I first put them on I felt a difference in the ride. It seemed smoother to me. They work all the time to keep things balanced and I think they extended the life of the tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.