Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pulled starter on my 89 gl1500 cleaned it a lot of carbon so i cleaned it and armature.still have problem when engine is warm.just click click click like low battery selonoids just clatter,put a +lead direct and same thing.any ideas

·
Registered
691 Posts
This usually means a problem in the windings. You can take it to an alternater repair, shop and have it tested. First check the battery voltage when trying to start it. Should not drop below 10v. Check all connections at the batt, solinoid e.c.t. As a rule of thumb, wont start cold is the batt, when warm its the starter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did the same with 2 starters from a '78 & '79. When cold they are perfect but when heated they suck. Eventually I'll pop in a new one or try to figure out how to install a kick start :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi i bought an 1980 gl1100 interstate last year same problem changed starter still same last owner used 20/50 oil drained and cleaned refilled with a 10/40 semi synthetic and had no problem since keep asking myself why and how could that make a difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi i bought an 1980 gl1100 interstate last year same problem changed starter still same last owner used 20/50 oil drained and cleaned refilled with a 10/40 semi synthetic and had no problem since keep asking myself why and how could that make a difference.
How weird and coincidental that you say this, and it has nothing to do with a starter but a backfire that I'm getting on the right side. Changed the oil to LiquiMoli 10w-40, top of the line, but it does not agree with the lifters, had cheap 10W-40 before and the bike was fine and tonight I dumped the German oil and filled it with 20W-50 and I'll do a ride when the sun comes up. I'm in Houston and it's always hot so maybe the 20W will be ok but it seems that the early models do like a regular cheap ass 10W-40.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts